Liberian president to receive honorary degree at IU

Faculty says visit will strengthen ties with country

Liberian President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf will receive an honorary doctor of law degree at the Bloomington campus’ commencement May 3.\nSirleaf, who is often referred to as the “Iron Lady” because of her will and determination, will receive the degree for her efforts to promote peace, justice, democracy and the country’s close ties with IU. \nSirleaf is Africa’s first-elected female head of state and Liberia’s first-elected female president. Sirleaf came from humble beginnings, as she grew up the daughter of civil servant. She followed her father’s footsteps into public service; he was the first indigenous Liberian to serve in the national legislature.\nIU has strong ties to Liberia, as the law school has supported constitutional democracy in the country and has helped to rebuild the country’s legal education system. Lauren Robel, dean of IU-Bloomington’s law school, has visited the country and met Sirleaf. She said she is thrilled and moved that the president is receiving the honorary degree from IU. She described Sirleaf as an outstanding and inspirational leader who dealt with much oppression to ensure democracy. The law school is now working with the University of Liberia’s School of Law to train faculty.\nIU also houses the largest collection of Liberian works in the world outside of Liberia, said Verlon Stone, director of the Liberian Collection at IU. The archives include personal papers, diaries and government reports, which officials plan on showing to Sirleaf during her visit.\nStone described Sirleaf as an outstanding person who has persevered in the fact of adversity. Both Stone and Robel said Sirleaf’s acceptance of the degree will create a stronger tie between institutes of higher education in America and Liberia. IU has had many faculty and scholars that have been actively involved in Liberian studies, including Amos Sawyer, who is currently in Liberia, Claude Clegg and the late J. Gus Liebenow.\nIU will award three total honorary degrees this year on its various campuses. Robert Deputy, a businessman and community leader in Elkhart, Ind., will receive his honorary degree May 6 at IU-South Bend. Russell Edgerton, director of the Pew Forum on Undergraduate Learning, will receive his honorary degree May 11 at IU-Purdue University Indianapolis.