Crean willing to help IU in NCAA investigation

New IU men’s basketball coach Tom Crean said he was shocked when he learned of the punishment IU imposed on itself as a result of NCAA recruiting violations. \n“Is it going to be a challenge?” Crean said. “It’s probably going to be a greater challenge than I realize, and I’ve thought a lot about it.”\nWhen Crean hires a new staff, it will be limited in the number of calls it can place to recruits, and there will be restrictions on the number of recruiting visits Crean and his assistants can make. \n“The sanctions that were imposed in house, they are very, very strong,” he said. “They are very strong.”\nHarry Gonso, who chaired the search committee that selected Crean, said he was up-front with every potential candidate about IU’s situation. \n“Everybody’s smart enough to know what’s going on,” Gonso said.\nThe NCAA could still impose more sanctions for five alleged “major” recruiting violations. Crean said he is “very concerned” the NCAA could add stiffer penalties.\n“But at the same time, you could either look at that as challenge, or you could look at it as the opportunity,” Crean said. “Because I just got here, I have no choice but to look at it as the opportunity.”\nThe NCAA Committee on Infractions will conduct a hearing on June 14 in Seattle with IU to review its case. Crean said he is willing to help, if necessary.\n“I’ll do whatever they ask me to do,” he said. “If I need to go with the contingent here to Seattle, I’ll be there. If I need to talk to somebody, I’ll do it.”\nA final ruling is expected 30 days after the hearing.