B-Line Trail set for construction

Bedford building company submits lowest bid for project

A project that has been deemed one of the most significant in the city’s history by Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan is now set to begin construction after a low bidder was named last week. \nConstruction of Phase 1 of the B-Line trail is on track to begin sometime in May after Tri-County Builders of Bedford submitted the low bid to the Indiana Department of Transportation on April 2. The firm’s $2.9 million bid was nearly $200,000 below the INDOT engineer’s estimate, fitting in with the city’s planned budget for the project. \nThe next step in the process will be a three-day bid review period during which INDOT will review the bid to make sure it meets all required specifications, but the fact that all submissions were pre-qualified by the state has left Bloomington Parks and Recreation Director Mick Renneisen feeling confident that the city has found just what it was looking for.\n“We’re very pleased to have Tri-County on board for this project,” Renneisen said. “We’ve worked with them before on the construction of the Clear Creek Trail, and it’s nice to know that you have a competent and efficient company working with you.”\nThe B-Line trail is a 3.1-mile stretch of abandoned railroad running directly through downtown, which the city purchased from CSX in 2005 with hopes of turning it into a walking and biking trail. The city has separated construction of the trail into five phases, the first of which covers slightly more than a half mile running from Rogers Street to Second Street. \nWhile one of the goals for the trail is to provide citizens with another mode of transportation through downtown, it is likely that the trail will serve an important economic purpose as well. Jim Murphy, president of property management and development company CFC, sees the trail opening up more opportunities for consumers and local businesses alike.\n“Whereas the railroad really divided the city before, now it will be more of an asset, an amenity,” Murphy said. “Businesses located along the trail that previously had only one storefront may now have two. The trail will be a great attraction in itself, but it will also help to maximize the value of the businesses and the number of people who use them.”\nIf everything goes according to plan, Renneisen said he expects construction on the trail to begin by Memorial Day. Renneisen hopes the trail will be ready to use by this time next year.\n“It’s exciting,” Renneisen said. “This is a big deal for the city of Bloomington, and we can’t wait to get it finished.”