1 in 4 young women have an STI

China Beijing Smoking Ban

Sexually transmitted infection prevalence is up, according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study.\nOne in four females ages 14 to 19 have at least one of four common STIs: herpes, human papillomavirus, chlamydia and trichomoniasis, said Elizabeth Ann Chandler from the News Media Team at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Furthermore, of the adolescent women with any STI, 15 percent have more than one, she added.\n“This is new data that shows STIs are a significant health risk,” Chandler said. “There are about 3.2 million young women nationwide (with STIs).” \nData was collected from a household study using a nationally representative sample from 2003 to 2004, Chandler said.\n“I think the most important thing that it means to me is young people are having unprotected sex,” said Shelia Evans, the community health education program manager at Bloomington Hospital. “Health care providers aren’t screening young people as good as we should be. The example is that a lot of young girls are going in for the pill and may not be thinking that they can still get an STI.”\nChandler agrees and said it is “critical” that young women get screened.\n“I think that women should definitely be tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea,” said Peggy Ryan, senior nurse practitioner at the Bloomington Planned Parenthood. \nChlamydia and gonorrhea in both men and women might produce no symptoms, said Kathryn Brown, a health and sexuality educator at the IU Health Center.\n“If that infection progresses, it could progress to their reproductive parts and cause infertility,” Brown said. “This can happen with men, too. Approximately 40 to 80 percent of men may not have early symptoms of chlamydia or gonorrhea.”\nYoung women, however, are more vulnerable for physiological reasons.\nWhen teenage girls start to go through puberty, part of the cervix is still maturing and is more vulnerable to infections because it’s more exposed, Brown said. As women mature, the cervix becomes more protected, she added.\n“We need to make sure that it’s clear that STIs can be passed on through oral, anal or vaginal sex,” Brown said. “Not everybody who has an STI has symptoms. If you’ve had unprotected sex, you should be tested.”\nIn addition, certain infections such as herpes, HPV and genital lice can be passed through skin-to-skin contact.\n“If you’re rubbing body parts together, you can transmit an STI,” Evans said.\nRyan said she has not seen concrete proof that STI rates rise during the spring season.\nHowever, she added, “We offer different things before spring break because we think kids get together in a more relaxed situation.” \nThe Centers for Disease Control and Prevention takes a comprehensive approach to STIs, Chandler said.\n“We recommend education, screenings, latex condoms and abstinence when you can,” Chandler said. “There isn’t one sure-fire way, but routine screenings are key for these young women.”\nIn terms of the effect on college students, Evans stressed the use of latex condoms.\n“It means that you need to be careful who you’re having sex with and how many partners you have, and whether you’re using protection,” Evans said. “Latex condoms used consistently and correctly are very effective in preventing STIs, but not 100 percent. Abstinence is the only 100 percent effective way.”\nRyan is hopeful that college students will be able to protect themselves from STIs.\n“I think college students are really bright, whether it’s knowledge gotten through newspapers or journals or television, they are alert to those things and pay attention to their bodies, and they care to keep themselves healthy,” Ryan said.