Well, hello, Dolly

After all these years, Dolly Parton's still got huge... tracts of land.

When confronted by the push-up bra, plastic surgery and painted-on pants, we forget what Dolly Parton is at heart – a talented writer/musician and smart businesswoman who practically invented the pop-country style of stars such as the Dixie Chicks. Now, after a 17-year hiatus from mainstream country, the “dumb blonde” is back to remind you she’s the queen of country.
Dolly hasn’t exactly been on a hiatus from making music, but she’s mostly stayed out of the spotlight by returning to her roots and recording bluegrass tunes, with 2001’s Little Sparrow and 2002’s Halos and Horns. Though not necessarily triumphant, her return to the pop-country that she made famous is certainly a proud and welcome one.
Backwoods Barbie is the first on her label Dolly Records. Fortunately, Dolly has no Diddy-style star searches planned; she’ll be the label’s only artist.
Other than unnecessary oohs and aahs from backup singers and the sometimes mechanical sound of the instruments, the album sounds as good as anything on the country charts today. Nine of the tunes are originals, with the best being “Only Dreamin’” – a wistful lament of lovers lost and the title track. It’s a self-aware nod to her penniless past, about which she reminds us: “Don’t let these false eyelashes lead you to believe that I’m as shallow as I look, ’cause I run true and deep.”
 There are also two covers on the album worth noting. The countrified version of the Fine Young Cannibals’ “She Drives Me Crazy” is a mix of synthesizers and banjos that finds Dolly dissolving into a breathy and unhappy down-home disco.
Nonetheless, she more than makes up for it with her version of Smokey Robinson’s “Tracks of My Tears.” She can’t hit the high notes like Smokey, but as she croons, “Take a good look at my face / You’ll see my smile looks out of place / If you look closer, it’s easy to trace / The tracks of my tears,” it rings as true as it would if she’d written it herself.
The album certainly doesn’t represent Dolly at her best. It isn’t even her best in the last decade, but it’s a testament to her talent that she can stay in the business for nearly 50 years and still matter.