Letters from abroad: Not enough time to try everything? Have a sample.

Lindsey Landis

BOLOGNA, Italy – Spring break is three days away. If you are one of the few who stuck around to finish your classes this week, the nice weather and visions of faraway places are probably making it difficult to focus. A good portion of the student body will head to the beaches of Mexico and the Caribbean. If cerveza and “Girls Gone Wild” is your thing, you have probably been baking in a tanning bed for weeks.\nOther students will hop a plane and spend a whirlwind week backpacking through Europe. You adventurous lot have been poring over Frommer’s travel guides since the holidays. While backpacking is a great way to mark several countries off of your “to do” list, it can be somewhat disappointing to not see all of the attractions that each city has to offer. When you only have a limited amount of time, every minute is precious.\nI recommend that you take the time to prioritize the sights which are most important to you. Do your research. You may not have time to see Rome, Paris, London AND Amsterdam. There are certain cities which are not as popular with tourists (less popular means shorter lines) that can give you a good feel for the country you are visiting. The Italian city of Verona is one such location.\nEach town in Italy has its own personality. Regionally specific food, art and habits make the country feel like it is actually made up of several smaller countries. Verona is unique in that it combines major elements of several Italian cities but retains its own native charm.\nThe city is known for two major reasons: It is the setting for Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet,” and it is home to the most well-preserved Roman amphitheater. When I visited on Saturday, I was surprised by how much the city resembled other places I have seen.\nThe Roman amphitheater is not quite as large the Colosseum in Rome, but it’s in much better shape. The numerous public works from the age of the Empire give the city the nickname of “Little Rome.”\nThe city was also under the rule of the Venetian kingdom for many centuries. Therefore, the streets and houses are designed in a fashion similar to those in Venice. The only thing missing is the canals.\nThe landscape, dotted with green hills and cyprus trees, is reminiscent of the Tuscan countryside surrounding Florence. Even the food is a wonderful mixture of cuisine from various Italian subcultures. I had a marvelous mixed plate at lunch, which featured lasagna from the southern regions and “bakala,” a salted cod stew, typical of coastal areas.\nThe largest tourist attraction in Verona was “Juliet’s” balcony (though Romeo and Juliet didn’t exist, they were based on a real-life Italian couple), where, according to popular myth, she made her famous “Romeo, O Romeo” speech. But even in this popular romantic spot, the lines were short. Though Verona may not be at the top of your list of things to see on your week-long sprint through Europe, it is a wonderful way to experience a vast spread of true Italian culture in a short amount of time. \nWhether you spend next week wasting away in Margaritaville or exploring the wonders of the world, have a fun, safe spring break!