Hoosiers grab 3rd straight WNIT bid

Brandon Foltz

One day after learning their season was not over, members of the IU women’s basketball team took the Assembly Hall floor for practice, albeit without a specific opponent in mind. That’s because they don’t have one yet.\nThe Hoosiers received an at-large bid to the Women’s National Invitation Tournament late Monday night, but their first-round opponent has yet to be determined. IU will play the winner of Thursday’s game between James Madison and Radford. \nIU coach Felisha Legette-Jack said she is excited to have the opportunity to take her young team to postseason play. \n“I’m very honored,” she said after practice Tuesday. “I’m very honored that the WNIT invited us into their tournament, because our young kids need the opportunity to learn what it feels like to play in the postseason.”\nIllinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and Michigan State all made the WNIT field as well, meaning the Big Ten has nine teams in postseason competition. Minnesota, Ohio State, Iowa and Purdue all made the NCAA Tournament field, also announced Monday evening. \nLegette-Jack said that number proved the mettle of the Big Ten, which has been maligned by some pundits this season for its lack of depth. \n“I think that, whether people want to do it or not, they’re going to have to give us a little respect that we’re playing competitive basketball,” Legette-Jack said.\nIn their last game, the Hoosiers battled in-state rival Purdue for much of their Big Ten Tournament quarterfinal matchup before falling late to the eventual Big Ten Champions, 64-54. \nThe trip will be the Hoosiers’ third consecutive WNIT appearance, dating back to now-Purdue coach Sharon Versyp’s one-year stint at IU. Last year, Legette-Jack led the Hoosiers to a first-round win over Iona before eventually falling to South Dakota State on the road.\n“Last year, we had a nice little run, we won games and then we went to South Dakota State and ran out of players,” Legette-Jack said. “Now that we’ve got players, can we sustain the aggression and enthusiasm of our opponents, and not only sustain it, but surpass it? That will be our challenge.”