‘Best Place to Work in Indiana’ awards to be held

‘Positive work place environments’ recognized

Brandon Foltz

Sixty-six companies, including Bloomington’s Employment Plus, were recognized with “The Best Place to Work in Indiana” award because of their ability to make their employees feel valued. A record 120 Indiana companies took part in the evaluation process and were eligible for the ranking process. The awards ceremony and the presentation of the No. 1 company in Indiana will be held May 7 at the Indiana Roof Ballroom in downtown Indianapolis.\nThe program has grown each year, which is encouraging, said Rebecca Patrick, the director of public relations and communications of the Indiana Chamber of Commerce. “The Best Place to Work in Indiana” program, sponsored by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce, was created to encourage businesses to create a positive work place environment, she said. \nGood communication from senior management, employee-employer respect, teamwork and growth opportunity are among the traits that many of the winning companies seem to have within their strategic core, Patrick said.\n“It’s a humbling experience to be among such great companies,” said Jon Jeffries, vice president of human resources and risk management at Employment Plus. \nThis is the second year that Employment Plus has won one of the “The Best Place to Work in Indiana” awards.\n“We have a very simple approach – everyone has a part to play within the organization,” Jeffries said. \nIt’s all about treating employees right and with respect, he added. People will gladly be part of an organization that incorporates teamwork and creates a friendly “culture” within the workplace. \n“I am fortunate to be a part of this,” Jeffries said.\nModernThink, LLC, a workplace excellence consulting firm, was in charge of selecting the award recipients from the pool of applicants. The Indiana Chamber of Commerce manages “The Best Place to Work in Indiana” awards, now in their third year, and the awards are presented in partnership with Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield. The program is based on Fortune magazine’s famous “100 Best Companies to Work for in America” and it honors the top companies statewide. The honorees are determined through employer reports and inclusive employee surveys. \nMany companies appreciate the feedback they receive from ModernThink, said Tom Schuman, vice president of communication for the Indiana Chamber of Commerce. The comments and feedback these companies receive from their employees is extremely valuable and it allows company officials to be aware of any potential problems or issues that might need to be addressed, he said. \nEstablishing a culture in which employees feel valued makes a huge difference in the company, Schuman said. Employees whose input and recommendations are being considered are more likely to be productive and comply with company standards, rules and regulations, he said. Companies that have a strong work and life balance are more inclined to have higher employee morale. Schuman calls it “fun, while working hard.”\nWinners were selected from two categories: small-to-medium-sized companies (25 to 249 employees), and large-sized companies (250 or more employees). Out-of-state parent companies were eligible to participate if at least 25 full-time employees are in Indiana.