Actor Kal Penn visits IU, stumps for Obama during rally on campus

Daniel Herman

Actor Kal Penn journeyed to Bloomington Saturday evening, not to eat sliders from White Castle but to stump for Sen. Barack Obama.\nSpeaking to about 450 students, Penn rallied support for the Illinois senator’s presidential campaign.\n“Wow, this is huge,” Penn said to the packed auditorium in Ballantine Hall. “I think you guys just set the national record of students at a circuit event. Wow, you guys have nothing better to do on a Saturday night.”\nPenn’s speech kicked off with a personal story about a friend of his who was living in Texas and was trying to pay for college. One day Penn’s friend received a phone call from Halliburton, which said it would pay him $90,000 if he’d agree to drive a truck in Iraq for a year.\n“It’s a pretty sad day when a buddy of ours only way to go to college was to work minimum wage or drive a truck in Iraq,” Penn said. “We’ve only had two families in the White House in the last 20 years. They’ve both had some good ideas, but they didn’t get a lot done.”\nPenn’s lecture consisted mostly of Obama’s “Blueprint for Change”, which consists of health care, the Iraq war and environmental issues.\n“Basically, he just made Barack the voice of young America,” said senior Ashley Williams while sporting an Obama T-shirt. “We haven’t been voting, but now our generation is coming out in mass numbers.”\nPenn discussed how as a senator, Obama provided money for health care in Illinios to 150,000 children and their families. Penn also said Obama wants to provide a $4,000 tax credit for every student who wants to attend college.\nPenn stressed how important it is for the youth of America to vote. The average age of voters in Iowa in 2004 was 64, Penn said. The youth turnout increased by 150 percent in Iowa for this election, he said.\nPenn opened the rest of the rally up for audience questions.\nOne audience member asked Penn how Obama can put America on the path for social change and justice worldwide. Penn told the audience about a public HIV/AIDS test Obama conducted in Kenya and his overall interest in world affairs.\n“There are places in Africa where whole generations are missing,” Penn said. “In the ‘Blueprint for Change’, it’s all about how to make the world an overall better place.”\nAn audience member asked Penn how Obama plans to withdrawal troops from Iraq, even though there are still soldiers around the world.\n“He doesn’t just want to walk away,” Penn said. “It’s a gradual, 16-month withdrawal plan.”\nThere were some light-hearted questions in which one student asked Penn about his is favorite White Castle meal.\n“I don’t eat that stuff; it’s so bad for you,” he said. “I actually love eating organic.”\nThe crowd was mixed with Obama supporters, Penn fans and voters who are still undecided.\nSophomore Jackie Webster said Penn’s speech made her think more about the upcoming election. She said she’s usually too busy to worry about it.\n“He definitely did his research and knew what he was talking about,” she said. “I kind of wish he would of talked more about Obama criticism and retaliated.”\nOne of the last questions asked was whether or not Obama plans to visit IU in the fall.\n“Absolutely yes,” Penn said. “The senator has plans to visit several times. It’s really up to you guys. What happens in Indiana isn’t just about the primary, it’s about setting up the general election.”\nPenn ended his lecture giving students statewide an opportunity to play basketball with Obama.\nStudents need to register 30 people to vote before April 7 and take their registration forms to the Obama headquarters at Third and Washington streets. The winner will get to play on a team with Obama and his bodyguard against three high school students.\n“If you don’t want to register for my friend or to prove the critics wrong, do it to play ball,” Penn said.\nTim Granholm, president of IU Students for Barack Obama, said the event was “really big” because it has brought attention for the Indiana primary.\n“His presence is going to help us get a broader audience,” Granholm said. “Now (students) will be more willing to come and attend meetings and help us out.”