Technology, art come together

New institute combines dance, literature, music

A new institute at IU will allow artists and scholars to collaborate on digital arts and humanities projects, such as digital music libraries and virtual reality programs.

Work in the new Institute for the Digital Arts and Humanities will extend to dance, music and even literature.

Ruth Stone, associate vice provost for arts research, helped start the institute and will continue as its director. She said the institute will help faculty collaborate.

People live in a world of new technology, and Stone said the institute can provide a setting for this collaboration.

Stone said the institute has four fellows from a broad range of areas in the arts and humanities.

Professor of Music Jeffrey Hass, one of the fellows, said the institute will provide resources to experts in a variety of areas.

He gave the example of advanced visualization, which is a feature some digital music players offer that creates images to show on the screen while music plays.

Hass and Stone also said the institute is a great way for faculty to meet and work together.

“The institute will help faculty collaborate,” Stone said.

Hass said he is going to share his musical expertise with his students. He said he hopes they will become interested in the institute’s information. Hass said the institute was a long time coming.

“President (Michael) McRobbie has always had a big interest in supporting the arts and technology,” he said.

Nicole Jacquard, another fellow who specializes in fine arts, also shared her excitement about this new institute. She said that in the next two years, the fellows will be thinking about several ideas and project proposals for the institute.

Jacquard is researching computer-controlled machines and create artwork.

Jacquard is also interested in international collaboration when it comes to technology. She went to school in Australia and wants to create ties between her alma mater and IU. Her goal is for students to come from Australia and other countries to work with the new technology available in the institute.

Jacquard said this opportunity has been “really liberating.” She said there are so many different departments on campus that use digital technology, and hopes the institute will reach out to them for collaboration.

More in Arts