IU encourages students to update contact information in case of emergency

After last week’s shootings at Northern Illinois University, the IU administration is analyzing the current security on campus in the case of an emergency event.\nIn the wake of the NIU shootings in which five students died, 16 were injured and the killer committed suicide, IU is encouraging students and faculty to sign up for the IU-Notify system so that the University can send text message warnings in case of a similar emergency. \nWith the IU-Notify system, the University can contact students and staff through their cell phones in case of an emergency. Students have to register on Oncourse by updating their information, but many students and staff have yet to do so, said Kirk White, director of community relations.\n“We believe one of the most important things is for students to get timely information,” White said. “Many personnel have not updated yet. Text messaging is most critical because it can get there faster.”\nHowever, security measures can be difficult to implement on such a large campus. \n“The fact is, we can’t turn this campus into some kind of closed limited access,” said Larry MacIntyre, assistant vice president for University Communications. “We can’t turn it into a prison with walls, gates and fences. Students wouldn’t be happy if they had to go through security or \nshow identification.”\nAfter the shootings at Virginia Tech in April 2007, soon to be IU President Michael McRobbie ordered a new study committee, consisting of administrators and police officers, to evaluate security on campus, MacIntyre said. Through its evaluation, the committee decided to form a notification system and a more secure locking system on classroom doors.\nIU set up three warning sirens, which will go off in case of an emergency, White said. The sirens have the ability to communicate necessary information to students while they are walking around campus. Three more sirens will be added to campus in April, \nWhite said.\n“There’s always room for improvement,” he said. “Ours is a bigger campus than Northern Illinois, which gives us a need to plan more. The bigger you are, the harder it is to handle these types of emergencies.”\nPart of the study committee also looked at IU Police Department’s efficiency in emergency situations, said IUPD Capt. Jerry Minger. \nAs the events unfolded at NIU one week ago today, IUPD became more vigilant with safety issues concerning the University, Minger said. IUPD had to react to the increased level of anxiety throughout campus and look for potential copycats, he said.\n“We’re aware that people that may be prone to that type of behavior will see it in the media and they might do the same thing on another campus,” Minger said. “We as police want people to know we are here. We try to circulate cars more and become more mobile to try to allay some of the fears.”\nIUPD changed its policies to a greater extent after two students killed 12 people at Columbine High School \nin 1999. \nWhen the shootings happened at Columbine High School, SWAT teams were sent in to handle the situation, Minger said. \n“We have a few uniform officers who are trained to stop a shooter,” Minger said. “We will pass by people who may be injured, but we are there to stop the shooter.” \nIUPD encourages anyone who sees suspicious behavior to report it to IUPD.\nFreshman Philip Heleringer said despite the size of the IU campus, he feels safe.\n“I don’t really fear for my life. I feel safe walking back at night,” Heleringer said. “IU has pretty adequate measures to keep students safe. You don’t really have a way to test it until it happens.”\nDespite increased security measures by the University, freshman Emily Jasper said she has never heard of the IU-Notify system.\n“I don’t really see any precautions being taken,” Jasper said. “We haven’t really been talked to. I don’t think anyone can really be prepared for it.”\nIU sent out e-mails last week to encourage people to update their information on IU-Notify, and the University is sending out posters to all residence halls and buildings, White said.\nStudents can check http://indianauniversity.info during a critical incident or emergency. IU plans to update its Web site with information if there is ever an emergency.\n“We’re in an environment now that people are doing things we haven’t seen in the past,” White said. “Now that these things are a reality, we all need to be careful.”