From blocks to barbells

Obesity rates among children are growing, so some Bloomington health and fitness facilities are stepping up to get children healthy and active. \nJames Laughlin, a pediatrician at Bloomington Hospital, said obesity and health problems have increased among children nationwide. Some of the health problems doctors are seeing are high blood pressure, diabetes and hyperlipidemia, which is an excess of fat and fatty substances in the blood. \n“This has been called an epidemic of obesity because children and adolescent obesity rates have quadrupled since the mid 1960s,” Laughlin said. \nHe said children are less active; idle activities such as watching TV or playing computer games have taken the place of physical activities. Laughlin added that we are a fast food society. Prepared foods are quicker for a busy lifestyle, but contain more fat and sodium than when food is prepared with fresh ingredients. \nRyon Wheeler, program director for the Boys & Girls Club of America in Bloomington, located at 311 S. Lincoln St., said for $20 a year, the facility offers children several health-related activities.\nIn addition, transportation from schools to the club is free. For an additional $40, kids can join a basketball league that is both competitive and developmental. \nThe Boys & Girls club is open to children ages 5 to 18. Some of the activities available every day are dance, running and organized games such as kickball and dodgeball, he said. \nWheeler said the Boys & Girls Club has a five-year strategic plan called Impact 2012, which deals with problems young adults face such as obesity and the temptation to use drugs and alcohol and drop out of school. \n“We encourage parents to help their kids stay active,” Laughlin said. “At my office, I encourage parents to have their children do something active every day that makes them sweat.”\nHe said this does not mean children need to participate in organized sports. It could be as simple as participating in another school activity such as dance or playing outside and walking. \nParents are the role model for their children, so when it comes to food choices, change has to be made at the family level, Laughlin said. \nEating fruits as snacks and cutting down on fast food and sugary treats are all positive steps, Laughlin said. \n“Kids should eat only when they are hungry and stop when they feel full,” Laughlin said.\nAnother place parents can take their children is the Monroe County YMCA. Staff member David Estes said the facility offers all kinds of programs; parents can even test their child’s fitness level. The YMCA also offers preschool classes for children ages 4 to 6. \n“We have a program called Gravity, which is a unique core and strengthening exercise system that uses body weight as a single constant resistance,” Estes said. \nThe Gravity program is available for children ages 12 to 14. In addition, the YMCA offers gymnastics classes called Mommy and Me and Tiny Tumblers. \nThere are age restrictions on each activity, and each program varies in price, Estes said. Children can participate in swimming lessons, dance, martial arts, basketball and soccer in the spring. The facility also has racquetball courses, a fitness room and yoga for children. \nThe Bloomington SportsPlex is another place children can participate in physical activities to help them stay in shape. Sportsplex Marketing Manager Chris Doran said the club offers a basketball league called Future Stars for children 5 and up, as well as various soccer leagues for children. \nDoran said the club has a track and a gym and offers a sports performance program that is aimed to help young athletes 12 and up improve in their sport. \nDoran added that he has been seeing more mothers and daughters buying family memberships and working out together. \n“I think children and adults are inspiring each other to stay fit,” Doran said.