Fort Wayne alumnus donates $1 million to high school alma mater

Funds are single largest monetary gift in school’s history

FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The president of a Texas energy company has donated $1 million to his Indiana high school alma mater, a gift the school said it will use to hire another teacher, create programs and fund scholarships.\nT. Paul Bulmahn, founder and CEO of ATP Oil & Gas Corp., donated the money to Concordia Lutheran High School in Fort Wayne.\n“This gift just provides for incredible opportunities that we’ve never had before,” said David Widenhofer, Concordia’s executive director.\nSchool principal John Marks said the school will use the money to hire another math teacher and develop new programs in science, technology and entrepreneurship. He also said the gift will fund scholarships to help needy students afford the annual tuition of $7,600.\nBulmahn graduated from Concordia in 1961, and went on to earn degrees from Valparaiso University, the University of Texas and Texas State University. He founded ATP Oil & Gas Corp. in 1991.\nBulmahn’s cousin, Steve Bulmahn of Fort Wayne, presented the check to the school at a Wednesday news conference.\nThe gift was the largest single donation in the school’s history and amounted to a fifth of its $5.4 million yearly operating budget. Concordia was founded in 1935 and has 679 students.\nBulmahn said he decided to donate the money while attending the school’s graduation ceremony last year.\n“I was very impressed with what is taking place there and wanted to make a difference for Concordia to encourage young people to believe they can pursue their own dreams and potential,” said Bulmahn in a statement. “That possibility for Concordia gives me great joy, and I am eager to see the school flourish.