Distorting body image

Eating disorders becoming more common in men and women

Exercise is one way people with body image distortion try to solve their 'problem.'

Are my thighs jiggling? Are my biceps big enough? Does he or she think I’m sexy? \nThese questions are common for many, especially young adults and teenagers, said Laurie Legocki, a graduate student focusing on women’s sexuality. But experts say poor body image can lead to unhealthy behaviors, such as drug use and a less satisfying sex life.\nBody image and the desire to obtain the ideal figure has become a prominent issue, especially among teenagers and young adults. For women, the yearning for a flawless frame has been a popular theme, and now, an increasing number of men seem to be jumping on the bandwagon, Legocki said. \n“We praise women for being beautiful from the moment they are born,” Legocki said. “And we praise boys for being strong and tough.” \nBeing health-conscious is important, but when the obsession to have a perfect body becomes extreme, bad health habits might surface. Junior Jordan Loewe, a fitness specialist and certified physical trainer, said eating disorders are becoming rampant in both men and women. Harsh stimulants, like Adderall, Ritalin and cocaine, are also commonly abused to lose weight. \n“It is vital for people to be content with their body image and just as vital for them to attain it safely,” Loewe said. \nApart from physically damaging the body, mental distress can also stem from an unhealthy body image. \n“How you feel about yourself is a big part of your mental health,” said Sonya Satinsky, a graduate student focusing on sexuality and health behavior. \nNegative thoughts on personal body image can affect your sex life, Satinksy said. Constantly worrying about whether a woman feels like she looks good enough can contribute to the difficulty many women face in achieving an orgasm. \n“If somebody doesn’t feel comfortable with their own body, showing your body to someone else is hard to do,” Legocki said. \nAlthough both sexes sometimes worry about their image during sex and struggle with performance anxiety, Legocki said women tend to dwell on their pessimistic thoughts, while men have an easier time letting them go. \nBody image is defined through three aspects, Satinsky said. First, society and the pictures shown through advertising reinforce skinny women and muscular men. Second, interactions with other people affect how people view their bodies compared to others. And third, the way in which people treat and view themselves often leads to a tainted body image.\nWomen and men often go to the gym to sculpt their bodies. This might shave away nagging love handles or bulk up scrawny arms, but it won’t necessarily satisfy an anxious mind. A distorted body image tends to consume more than that, Loewe said. \n“Just losing some pounds and adding some muscle is not usually enough to make someone content with their body image,” Loewe said. “Being happy with yourself spans much broader issues than what a gym can handle.”