Winter market begins this Saturday

Harmony School gymnasium to host about 24 vendors

the craft blackalicious

Food and conversation will fill the Harmony School gymnasium for the next 10 Saturdays at the Bloomington Winter Farmers’ Market.\nAbout 24 vendors will offer a wide variety of naturally grown and local foods. \nThe winter market will be open from 9 a.m. to noon every Saturday at the school, located at 909 E. Second St., and local musicians will provide live entertainment.\n“It gives consumers a way to buy directly from farmers in the winter months,” said Maggie Sullivan, director of the Local Growers Guild. “We think it’s really important for people to know where their food comes from and who made it.”\nBesides selling all types of fruits and vegetables, the market will feature chef demonstrations, coffee, baked goods and a place to eat breakfast.\n“It’s a little bit smaller than the summer market,” Sullivan said. “There are a large variety of products though. A lot of people think nothing grows in Indiana.”\nErika Yochum of Harvest Lodge has been attending the winter and summer Farmers’ Market for the past three years. They are known at the market for their nine different types of gourmet tamales, hummus, salsa, soup and baked goods that people can use to create their own meals.\n“Its really nice to be able to sell to local customers,” Yochum said. “You know what they like. You can relate to your customer in a way you can’t at the grocery store.”\nHarvest Lodge is made up of 80 acres used for growing garlic, asparagus, peppers and organic blueberry bushes. They also raise chickens for free-range eggs.\n“Its really great for me because I end up using a lot of food from other vendors when I make my food,” Yochum said. “Its exciting to see how big its getting and how people are supporting it.”\nHeartland Family Farm, operated by Teresa Birtles and her daughters, has participated in the market for nine years.\n“I originally started coming to the market because I love to grow fruits and vegetables,” Birtles said. “I was a single mom and I wanted a way to work and keep my children with me. I thought farming would be a good family job.”\nHeartland Family Farm hasn’t missed a market in years, Birtles said. They provide a variety of different onions, salad mix, herbs, winter squash, green beans tomatoes and a lot of European, non-hybrid varieties of food.\n“Everything we have is naturally-grown, no fertilizers,” Birtles said. “Our chickens are outside eating off the ground, not cooped up in a building.”\n“It allows local dollars to remain local than to buy things that are shipped hundreds of thousands of miles away,” Birtles said. “It gives an opportunity to interact and socialize with people who are interested in growing their own food. It builds community.”\nThe summer market, which generally includes about 90 vendors, will begin the first Saturday in April and last until November in Showers Common next to City Hall.