Is global warming real?

This past November, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change published its fourth assessment of the science of climate change. This panel, made up of over 2,500 scientists and other experts, had many things to say, but most notably this: “Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, as is now evident from observations of increases in global average air and ocean temperatures, widespread melting of snow and ice, and rising global average sea level.”\nThe rest of the report goes on to summarize the observed changes in climate, their possible effects on natural systems, population, disease and other ways in which, to paraphrase Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., the excrement would hit the air conditioning unit. This assessment lays out what has been observed and what it means, both for us and our preferred planet of residence. However, there are scores of people who are not convinced by this data and who deny that such a thing as global warming exists, or that it is man-made. \nIt is not uncommon to have dissenters on any topic; it’s healthy, even. It seems, though, that this particular topic has gotten the public exceptionally riled, with both sides pointing fingers, calling names and absolutely refusing to listen to what the other side has to say. Now, without going into the politics or detailed minutiae of the study, I’m going to clear up the entire thing for everybody. \nIt doesn’t matter. \nNo, really. Hear me out.\nWhat matters is how we deal with it. To prove my point, let’s play a little “what if” game. \nWhat if global warming is real? I mean, of course, what if it’s a man-made phenomenon and not simply fluctuations in the heating and cooling cycle of the planet? We can react in one of two ways. One: We recognize this and act appropriately, by drastically cutting carbon dioxide emissions, finding alternative fuels, etc. In this scenario, the earth continues to be a habitable place and we stop short of environmental disaster. Two: We continue to argue and nitpick and not do anything about it. The rate of global warming is not held in check, and all of the nasty things outlined in the panel’s report (extinction, famine, changes in weather patterns and coastlines, etc.) come to pass. The earth goes through major changes that affect both our health and our quality of life. If you believe the panel, these changes will not be reversible. \nSo let’s look at the flip side: What if global warming isn’t real? Again, we can react in one of two ways. One: We do nothing. Carbon dioxide emissions continue to be produced at current (or elevated) levels; we still have smoggy air and polluted streams. However, the climate doesn’t undergo a massive change and everything stays relatively the same. Two: We treat global warming as a real, man-made event and again, act accordingly. We end up with cleaner air and water and leave future generations with a better planet than what was left to us. \nSo let’s sum up the arguments above. If we don’t do anything and global warming turns out to be real, things will be really bad. If we do do something and global warming turns out not to be real, what have we lost? Seemingly nothing. And we’ve gained quite a bit.\nSo what are we waiting for?