IMU offers ‘relaxing,’ recreational art classes

Non-credit courses available in ceramics, photography, dark room designed to relieve stress

Many students know the Indiana Memorial Union provides students and professors a variety of activities, but some are unaware of the classes available to both enrolled students and non-students. \nUnion Studios, located behind the bowling alley in the IMU, are holding two six-week sessions during the spring semester in beginning ceramics, intermediate ceramics, black and white darkroom and photography basics. Session one starts this week and runs to Feb. 21 and session two runs from March 18 to April 24. Each six-week class section costs $85 for students and $90 for the general public, according to the IMU Web site. \n“The point of the class is that it offers a structured environment in which people can relax while still learning new things,” said Amanda Weigl, who is teaching the ceramics classes this semester. “It’s a big stress reliever. Students can come in and do what is on the agenda or just play with clay in the corner.” \nBesides relieving stress and providing instruction, the classes offer professional clay artists a studio membership and use of the studios throughout the semester, said Jeanne Leikuhler, a studio member who also works for IU as a frame artist. \nLeikuhler said it is just a hobby for those who don’t already need to take the beginner art classes. \nFor the beginner artists it’s also a good way to meet new people, not only through interacting in the studio but also through the occasional potluck dinner, Weigl said. \nJohn Skolnick, a sophomore business major, was considering taking the darkroom class this semester.\n“Art is one of the few subjects I’ve always been interested in but I don’t know much about,” Skolnick said. “I’m not an art major, nor do I have any extra time in my schedule for more classes, but taking a photography class without fearing a bad grade is definitely appealing,” he said. \nWeigl said the classes attract a mixture of undergraduate and graduate students, professors and some Bloomington residents who heard about the classes through bus ads or by word-of-mouth. Every semester brings turnover and a handful of new students at each session, Weigl said. \nStudents enrolled in a class can park for free in a Union lot during class time. Classes and memberships can be billed to the bursar.\nFor more information or to sign up for an art class, visit www.imu.indiana.edu.