Duke Energy gets approval for S. Indiana coal plant

Opposition to Duke Energy’s planned coal plant continued to go up in smoke Nov. 20 as the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission gave the go-ahead to Duke Energy for the construction of a technologically advanced “clean coal” power plant in Edwardsport, Ind., about 50 miles south of Bloomington.\nThough the project still needs to receive an air permit from the Indiana Department of Environmental Management to begin the plant, construction could begin as early as next year, with the plant producing power by early 2012. But opponents are looking to extend the window of opportunity for further public discussion about the issue, citing higher energy costs and environmental concerns. \n “It fits Indiana’s energy plan to turn homegrown natural resources into an economic engine and be self-reliant for power,” Jim Stanley, president of Duke Energy Indiana, said in a press release. “It’s part of our overall plan to meet growing customer needs with cleaner coal technology, energy efficiency and renewable energy.” \nThe plant will be about $2 billion to construct, and will be funded by about a 16 percent increase in energy rates for Duke customers, phased in from 2008 to 2012. It will replace an existing power plant that has mostly coal and oil units built between 1944 and 1951.\nThe price hike for customers and the plant’s possible environmental harm is stirring up some controversy in surrounding areas and throughout the state. The Citizens Action Coalition of Indiana, one of the plant’s main opponents, said the plant will not only create unnecessary costs for consumers because of the rate increase, but will also cause a 785 percent increase of carbon dioxide emissions.\n“We lead the carbon emissions per capita in the U.S., and even more than most countries here in Indiana” said Kerwin Olson, the Citizen’s Action Coalition’s public outreach coordinator. The state is ranked 11th in the world for carbon emissions, Olson said. \nOlson also points to more cost- and eco-friendly alternatives as better possibilities.\n“First and foremost, Duke needs to invest more money in energy efficiency, which is quicker and cheaper to implement,” Olson said. “We’d especially like to see them get serious about wind power.”\nThe organization urges residents to “take action” by writing letters to the Indiana Department of Environmental Management asking for more time to be available for public comment on the project, according to the Citizen’s Action Coalition of Indiana’s Web site. A public hearing is scheduled for Dec. 20, with the comment period closing Dec. 31, but the group wants this time period extended to late February. \nThe Web site also suggested that Indiana should echo the Kansas Department of Health and Environment’s recent denial of air permits for two proposed coal-fired power plants due to the health and environmental hazard of carbon dioxide.\nBloomington’s City Hall was filled with 180 Knox County residents, both advocates and opponents of the plant, during an August meeting about the proposal. Knox County resident Elizabeth Ellis cited the economic impact of the coal plant as the main reason for her support. \n“Last year, Knox County was ranked the poorest county in the state,” Ellis told the Indiana Daily Student in an article published Aug. 31. “This year it was the second poorest. We have a median income of $24,000. We need this.”