Worth the weight?

Recent studies show weight-loss drugs have mixed results, yet some continue to use them.

A study published Nov. 15 in the online version of the British Medical Journal shows that popular long-term weight-loss drugs Xenical, Acomoplia, and Meridia result in an average weight loss of less than 11 pounds, along with some serious side effects.

As obesity rates climb in the United States, more and more people are seeking weight control methods that will not interfere with their daily routine. Scientists say weight loss medications provide that to a degree, with or without side effects. \n“A lot of people are looking for a magic pill to fix weight and health problems,” said Samantha Schaefer, dietitian at Bloomington Hospital.\nWith the growing concern regarding obesity in the U.S., an increasing number of weight-loss medications are becoming available. However, many health-care providers are concerned about weight loss drug abuse and people looking for a quick fix.\nA study published Nov. 15 in the online version of the British Medical Journal shows that popular long-term weight-loss drugs Xenical, Acomoplia, and Meridia result in an average weight loss of less than 11 pounds, along with some serious side effects. \nResearch teams in Brazil and Canada gathered and analyzed existing information on the three weight-loss drugs. The study participants in these tests were men and women between the ages of 45 and 50 who weighed an average of 220 pounds, had a body mass index of about 35 and had used the drugs between one and four years. \nDr. Raj Padwal, assistant professor at the University of Alberta in Canada, and his research team assessed 16 studies done on patients taking Xenical, also known as orlistat. Xenical, which works by preventing fat digestion, yielded an average weight loss of about seven pounds. In addition, it also showed up to 30 percent of users had experienced intestinal and digestive side effects. \nMeridia, also known as sibutramine, showed an average weight loss of nine pounds. Of the 10 tests, up to 20 percent of users showed side effects including insomnia, nausea, high blood pressure and raised pulse rates. \nWhen researchers studied the four tests done on Acomplia use, they found an average weight loss of around 11 pounds. Though Acomplia is widely available in Europe, it did not pass Food and Drug Administration approval in June due to its psychiatric side effects, including anxiety and depression.\nRegardless of the long-term side effects, many people see why others would want to use the medications.\n“(For) someone who needs to lose weight, it’s beneficial ... if the risks of obesity outweigh the risks of side effects, ” said IU senior Lara Mordoh.\nIn addition to many side effects, research also showed many advantages. Xenical reduces risk of diabetes and, like Acomplia, improves cholesterol levels and blood pressure. Meridia also lowers cholesterol levels. \n“Depending on the severity of side effects, (users) should reconsider if minimal weight loss is worth it,” Schaefer said. \nSchaefer also stressed the importance of not just relying on weight loss drugs to lose weight. She said weight loss drugs “taken properly will help in addition to healthy lifestyle changes.” \nThe average prescribed dose of Xenical absorbs about 200 calories. While this drug is only available through prescription, Xenical producers GlaxoSmithKline PLC have produced another form of Xenical called Alli. Alli contains half the dosage of Xenical and is widely available in drug stores without a prescription.\nBut, with Alli only being half the dosage of Xenical, Alli will absorb roughly 100 calories, which is not the weight quick fix that many people would like.\n“Selling antiobesity drugs over the counter will perpetuate the myth that obesity can be fixed simply by popping a pill,” wrote Dr. Gareth Williams, dean and professor of medicine at the University of Bristol, in an editorial in the British Medical Journal.\nSchaefer said weight loss drugs can be beneficial when used in conjunction with increasing dieting and exercise. She added that individuals should consult professional advice before taking weight loss medications they aren’t familiar with. \n“I do think it is an individual decision,” Schaefer said. “I don’t think we’re ever going to get away from (weight loss drugs).”