The Nutcracker: A new tradition

Courtesy photo

On Tuesday evening, Michael Vernon coached more than 40 members of the IU Ballet Department as they pirouetted on stage in preparation for this weekend’s performances of the classic ballet, “The Nutcracker.” But the dancers in this year’s 49th annual production of the ballet are twirling to a new set of choreography. \nFor the past eight years, IU Jacobs School of Music professor Jacques Cesbron has brought the ballet to life. This year, Vernon, who serves as the chair of the IU Ballet department, choreographed the show. He said he was approached with the idea to change the choreography of the ballet because “it’s always nice to see something new.”\n“There is nothing wrong with the old production,” he said. “But after eight years in a the small town of Bloomington, it is time for a change, a new viewpoint.” \nVernon says the concepts of the ballet will remain the same, since he believes in telling the story from a traditional fashion, but his interpretation of the classical ballet will be different. \nThe ballet tells the story of a young girl named Clara, who receives a nutcracker as a gift from her grandfather on Christmas Eve. When she falls asleep, she has a magical dream of dancing snowflakes, the Sugar Plum fairy and her toy nutcracker coming to life. The music, composed by Peter Tchaikovsky in 1892, is based on an old German fairy tale.\nWhat is most notably new about Vernon’s show is that the role of Clara will be played by an 11-year-old girl from IU’s Pre-College Ballet Program. Previously, this role was given to one of the ballet majors. Vernon said he wanted Clara to be played by a young girl to enhance the story and link Clara and the Sugar Plum Fairy, who serves as the heroine, together.\nHe said that while the ballet may change in terms of dancers and steps, the classic story will always remain the same. \n“The ballet offers something for everyone,” he said. “Dancers come from all over the world. There is a battle scene with mice. There are beautiful women, strong men. It is ideal for people to come for a first time ballet and to sit back and enjoy.”\nIU Ballet sophomore Anja Hoover said that this past week the dancers have been rehearsing from about 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Prior to tech week, Hoover said rehearsals went from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Though it’s a tough schedule, the dancers don’t seem to mind. \n“There’s nothing better than getting on stage and performing and doing what you love,” Hoover said. \nAs a dancer in last year’s Nutcracker ballet, Hoover performed under Cesbron’s vision. Despite the differences in choreography, She said she likes both productions.\nSophomore Juliann Hyde, who dances the role of the Sugar Plum Fairy during the Saturday night performance, agreed.\n“I have no preference,” she said. “Both have their similarities.” \nNo matter the different choreographers, the dancers affirm that “The Nutcracker” is still a classic holiday tradition to be enjoyed by children and families. Sophomore Jenna Sagraves, who dances the role of the Sugar Plum Fairy during the Saturday matinee performance, said the new choreography will add a different feel to the ballet, but in a good way.\n“‘The Nutcracker’ is so exciting and puts you in the holiday mood,” she said. “Watching it puts you in the Christmas spirit.” \n“The Nutcracker” opens Friday at the Musical Arts Center. Additional performances will be at 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 1, and 3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 2. Ticket prices range from $18 to $35 and can be purchased at the Musical Arts Center.