Overeating? Not now.

Did you know that it takes 20 minutes for your brain to realize that your stomach is already full? Imagine all of the overeating that can take place within that gap of time.\nI thought it would be helpful to give you some tips about how to control your eating habits as we start the holiday season – a time when overeating is always around and easy to fall into. So you don’t cancel out all of that hard work you’ve been doing this summer and fall (you have spent some time at the gym, right?), let’s make sure you’re prepared with some techniques to keep you healthy during the scrumptious holidays. \nMost overeating results from specific triggers. These triggers can be the environment, a certain food item or even the time of day. Stress is one of the most common causes of overeating. Who hasn’t indulged in more food than necessary before a big test or during a strained relationship? \nLearn to identify these triggers and find ways to avoid them. For example, if you tend to snack when sitting in front of the TV, go out for a 10-minute walk instead. The endorphins of the walk will take your mind off of food, and the change of environment will take you away from the TV. \nBefore you reach for that fifth slice of pizza, think about if you’re truly hungry. Signs of hunger are often misinterpreted. Not only does the 20-minute gap need to be taken into account, what is thought to be hunger might actually be thirst. \nThis brings me to my next point: Drink more water. Water is the No. 1 nutrient you can put into your body. It improves your skin, keeps you healthy and makes you feel full. Try drinking a glass of water when you start to think you’re hungry. \nPortion control goes hand-in-hand with the issue of overeating. At home, portion control is easier because you can control the food you consume, but when you’re out at a restaurant, what are you going to do? This technique has always served me well: Request a to-go box when you order your meal. When the server brings the food, you can immediately pack half of it away to take home. That way, you will eat a smaller portion and have food for the next day. \nYou can also try drinking a glass of water or eating a piece of fruit 20 to 30 minutes before eating. As a result, you’ll already have something in your stomach, and won’t eat too much during the meal. \nBobbi Saccone, an IU Health Center dietitian, recently said the average family dinner lasts only seven minutes. Seven! Meals used to be about conversation and catching up with friends and family. Talk to each other! \nNot only will the time you spend with others be more enjoyable, but with the slower eating pace, you will actually taste delicious flavors. You’ll be able to fill up without overeating. While you’re at it, try chewing with your mouth closed, please. Believe me, you won’t be the only one to benefit.