Online only: No 'Idol' slump

Carrie Underwood Carnival Ride

Plane Hits Home

Who is Carrie Underwood? \nA former winner of "American Idol," a small-town twenty something with a debut album that garnered her three Grammys, and a singer with a sophomore effort destined to be as successful. But don't expect any insight into the singer's soul with Carnival Ride, a mix of cheeky pop-country punches amidst standard countrified tales of lost love and regret.\nUnlike her rock-pop "Idol" counterpart Kelly Clarkson, who bared her soul on June's My December, Underwood hasn't broken out of the mold "American Idol" thrust her into in 2005. Whether channeling Miranda Lambert's gruff drawl ("Last Name"), Faith Hill's theatrical croon ("Just a Dream") or the string-infested stomp of the Dixie Chicks ("Flat on the Floor"), Underwood is merely interpreting songs, albeit beautifully. With its rich, sparkling tone and subtle twang, her voice floats on top of the music, somewhat detached from the lyrics. There's little indication that any of her songs have personal meaning, which makes perfect sense considering her start on "American Idol."\nWhat the album lacks in originality it makes up for with a mix of well-executed, heel-stomping anthems and sugary sweet ballads, with the best of these categories being "Flat on the Floor" and a cover of Randy Travis' "I Told You So," respectively. The one song the album could have omitted is "The More Boys I Meet," where Underwood champions (wo)man's best friend, singing, "I close my eyes and I kiss that frog / Each time finding / The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog." However, a Ride with Underwood is worth this bump in the road. \nTake into account that her first album Some Hearts went platinum six times -- a feat not achieved by a debut country artist since the monster smash Blue by Leeann Rimes in 1996 -- and it's undeniable Underwood is pop's reigning princess. Whether she'll ascend to the level of a queen like Dolly or Reba remains to be seen. She may not be much of a personality yet, but a performer? You bet.