IU field hockey season ends with loss to Iowa

Chris Pickrell

The IU field hockey team saw the season come to a sobering end Thursday afternoon with a loss in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament. \nThe Hoosiers suffered their worst loss of the season in an 8-2 defeat to Iowa in Columbus, Ohio. \n“This was a really hard way to go out,” said IU coach Amy Robertson. “But I’m proud of the way we continued to develop as a team throughout the year.”\nIowa forced the action all game long, firing 20 shots to IU’s four and earning a 7-3 advantage in penalty corners. \n“They did a good job of beating our press,” Robertson said. “Our press has been our bread and butter all year, but they took good risks and were able to find the openings. We aren’t used to seeing teams do that to us, and it put us in some pretty tough situations.”\nAfter Iowa scored a fifth-minute goal, Hoosier senior forward Kate O’Connell tied the game at one with a goal off a reverse shot. \n“There was a scuffle for the ball about ten yards out,” O’Connell said. “I was able to find the ball and get off a reverse shot. I didn’t even really see it go in.”\nIowa quickly responded with three unanswered goals before O’Connell scored another goal off a penalty corner to make the score 4-2. \n“After that goal, we had a lot of momentum,” O’Connell said. “We kind of let it slip by us though.”\nIowa responded again, this time scoring four more goals to win the game 8-2. \n“They just kept coming at us,” Robertson said. “They are one of the best outletting teams in the country. I think they outworked us a little bit and just played an unbelievable game.”\nFor the Hoosiers’ six seniors, the loss was a tough way to finish their careers.\n“I’m just trying not to focus on this one game,” said senior midfielder Meredith Brown after the loss. “It’s been kind of a rough season, but I think I’ve learned a lot and grown from it. I’ve had a ton of great memories over my career, and I’m just going to try to remember those memories and not this loss.”\nLike Brown, O’Connell said she will also not let this loss define her career.\n“It’s been a great experience for me, and I’ve had a lot of fun,” O’Connell said. “I think all the seniors will be able to look back on some really positive memories.”\nThe loss brings IU’s final record to 8-10 overall and marks the end of an up-and-down season.\n“It’s been a challenge this year,” Robertson said. “It’s been an ongoing journey to find answers to some problems we had as a team, and I think we were able to fix some of those things. It’s disappointing now, but I really enjoyed watching the way our team grew throughout the year. That’s what I’ll remember most about this season.”