Indiana State Police taking applications for academy

Sergeant says troopers seek minorities, women to add diversity

The Indiana State Police are accepting applications for their 69th Recruit Academy. \nIn an effort to recruit a more diverse group of cadets, the State Police are urging minorities and women to apply, said Sgt. Curt Durnil. \n“We’re an equal-opportunity employer,” Durnil said. “The state police want to make sure that we are a representation of the community.”\nFirst Sgt. Brian Olehy echoed Durnil. \n“It’s our hope that we represent Indiana,” Olehy said. “Having diverse backgrounds and experiences in life adds to (the) betterment of our agencies.”\nAll applications for the new academy are being accepted online only. The deadline is Nov. 25. The prerequisites allow anyone who is a United States citizen possessing a high school diploma or GED, vision correctable to 20/50 and a valid driver’s license to apply. The academy is 27 weeks long, and a person must be older than 21 and younger than 40 by the time of graduation.\nTo be admitted into the 69th Recruit Academy, recruits must pass a written test at Bedford North Lawrence High School. Training for the 69th Academy begins June 16, 2008, at the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy in Plainfield, Ind.\nAreas of training include emergency vehicle operation, firearms training, psychology, report writing, defensive tactics, communication skills, investigations, photography, news media skills and first aid, Durnil said. He said trainees are completely provided for, and they will receive $1,400 bi-weekly, a car to drive anywhere in Indiana and a place to live.\nBecoming a police officer isn’t a job just anyone can take. Olehy said officers work in many different situations and conditions. Some people might have to work midnight shifts in the rain, sleet or snow, and even on holidays, he said.\n“We don’t shut the doors any day of the year,” Olehy said.\nPotential applicants shouldn’t let such statements scare them away from committing to this new job.\nFirst Sgt. Michael Rogers said being employed by the Indiana State Police is completely rewarding.\n“I’ve (shaken) the vice president’s hand and met celebrities,” Rogers said. “You have the opportunity to save people’s lives and take bad people off the streets.”\nA first-year police officer will receives $38,440 per year, and after the first year that increases to $40,100 a year, according to a press release from the Indiana State Police. The State Police provide medical, dental, vision and pharmacy coverage for both active and retired officers and their families, and lifetime pensions after 25 years of service.\nThe Indiana State Police don’t require every new officer to become a road trooper. They offer employment in different fields such as aviation, motorcycle patrol, Mustang and Camaro patrol, K9 handling, administration, white-collar crime investigations, automotive crime investigations, forensics, training and others.\nOlehy said that if students are looking for a job that isn’t mundane, they might want to consider employment with the Indiana State Police.\n“You have to understand that it’s more than just a job,” Rogers said. “When I leave my house, I tell my wife and kids that I love them because I don’t know if I’ll see them again.”