GIS Day set for Wednesday

For those who like maps, geology, geography or even aerial photos, Wednesday’s Geographic Information Systems Day offers an opportunity to learn more about careers in this field.\nScheduled from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the lobby of the Herman B Wells Library, GIS Day is a global event for users of Geographic Information Systems technology to educate others on how geography makes a difference in people’s everyday lives. GIS grew out of geography and has a very broad array of applications, including the study of topics like environmental change, water resources, market research and sustainable development, said Tom Evans, associate professor of geography.\n“GIS is a methodological tool that is used across disciplines on campus,” Evans said.\nThis year’s event will have several opportunities for students. Anna Radue from University Information Technology Services’ Data Management Services said each participant will have a table for demonstrations and will be given 15 minutes to present their topic. \nRadue said the goal of GIS Day is to make students aware of GIS technology and how it helps people with their everyday lives. The event is free and is open to all students.\n“GIS Day provides an opportunity for the community of students and scholars at IU to get together at a single event and share finding from research projects,” Evans said.\nOne demo table expected at the event is the GIS jobs table set up and run by Nancy Obermeyer, associate professor of geography at Indiana State University. This demo will be about different GIS job possibilities and will be given from 10:15 to 10:30 a.m. Another demo, titled “New Indiana Properties Database,” will be presented by Carol Rogers of the Indiana Business Research Center. This demo will be from 11:15 to 11:30 a.m.\nThere will be a keynote speaker from noon to 1 p.m. in the library conference room, E174. The speaker will be Gilbert Rochon, associate vice president for collaborative research and geoinformatics at Purdue University. He will be speaking on “The Evolution, Applications and Convergence of Geographic Information Systems and Satellite Remote Sensing.” \nRadue said having a keynote speaker from Purdue gives IU a chance to interact with this school. In addition to the demonstrations and the keynote speaker, there will also be games, give-aways and department booths, she said.\nRadue said that some examples of GIS in the real world include Google Maps, Global Positioning Systems and Microsoft Virtual Earth. She added that there are many career fields that use GIS, including engineering, real estate, emergency management and the federal government. \n“Students will have the opportunity to talk with GIS professionals to learn more about this cutting edge technology, including jobs and career options in this growing field,” Radue said.