Fact or Fiction: Can chicken soup cure the common cold?

As winter approaches, students can expect to feel the congestion, runny noses and sore throats that come with the common cold. Drug stores shelve a vast number of products to treat the cold, but sticking to the basics can be enough to feel better.\n“Nothing is going to cure the cold,” said Dr. Hugh Jessop, director of the IU Health Center. “But you can try and treat the symptoms.” \nJessop said he stresses drinking a lot of fluids, which is what many home remedies recommend. Eating chicken soup or drinking hot beverages helps keep a person hydrated while also providing comfort and warmth.\nResearchers have also found evidence of other benefits of chicken soup. A study done by Dr. Stephen Rennard of the University of Nebraska Medical Center showed that chicken soup helps reduce respiratory inflammation. Researchers found that the soup hindered the movement of neutrophil cells, which make cold sufferers feel congested. Irwin Ziment, pulmonary specialist and professor emeritus at the UCLA School of Medicine, also explored the effects of chicken soup on the body. As reported in the New York Times and USA Weekend magazine, Irwin suggests that the soup contains amino acids that act the same as active ingredients found in cold medicines. \nJessop said a combination of factors can give a student a cold. Stress from schoolwork and midterms, as well as poor sleeping and eating habits can weaken the immune system.\n“Our younger students tend to pull all-nighters,” he said. “That habit is especially bad in combination with partying. Your body can only take so much.”\nThe weather change also causes problems.\n“More and more people are staying inside and taking the buses,” Jessop said. “When someone gets a virus, it’s much easier to pass it along to somebody, because they’re so close to each other.” \nJessop said hand washing is the best way to prevent acquiring a virus. The germs remain on the skin for a long time, but washing the hands can help both the sick person and anyone he may be in contact with. Taking vitamin C can also boost the immune system and block a cold.