Dakich officialy named assistant coach

The IU Athletics Department issued a release Thursday saying Dan Dakich, hired in June as the director of basketball operations, replaces Rob Senderoff, who resigned Monday.\nIU coach Kelvin Sampson said Dakich will focus on IU’s post players, which was Senderoff’s role with the team. \n“I think Dan will bring a lot to us with his experience as a head coach for 10 years and I think he’s really good,” he said. \nDakich played at IU from 1982 to 1985 and captained the team his junior and senior seasons. He was head coach at Bowling Green State University for 10 years prior to coming to Bloomington, and he coached the Falcons to a 156-XX record. \nThis is his second stint as an assistant at IU. He worked under former head coach Bob Knight. \nIU senior forward D.J. White said he thought Dakich’s transition to the bench will be easy.\n“He talked to us and worked with us yesterday,” White said. “…We know him well, he is always around. Coach Dakich is always joking with us. It is not like there is a stranger coming in. I think he will fall into place like normal.”\nIn addition to inheriting IU’s post players, Dakich also inherits a litany of sanctions that were imposed on Senderoff for his role in IU’s impermissible phone calls. Dakich is prohibited from traveling off campus for recruiting purposes and cannot place recruiting phone calls until October 2008.\nSampson said he was not sure when he will hire a new director of basketball operations, but when he does he joked he’s “going to hire somebody that can keep track of phone calls.”