Belly dancers to perform at JWAC

Chris Pickrell

A computer teacher, opera singer and folklore doctorate student: seemingly not the first group of people who come to mind when you think of belly dancers. \nBut the three women of Different Drummer Belly Dancers are just that: a potpourri of unlikely ladies who are out to break stereotypes. The group will give a demonstration at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 23 at the John Waldron Arts Center to kick off the holiday season.\nMargaret Lion, the founder and director of Different Drummer Belly Dancers, is an instructor in the IU Department of Kinesiology and teaches computer courses at Ivy Tech Community College. Member Teri Herron is a doctoral student in voice, and Jeana Jorgensen is a doctoral student in folklore. \nCombining the traditions of Egyptian, Turkish, American Tribal Style, hip-hop and modern, the aim of this “fusion troupe” is to defy labels. Herron said that belly dancers are typically thought of as especially young and slender, and their group wants to challenge that idea. Herron said belly dance gives her opportunities for fun performances, and makes her feel good about herself and her body. Lion called it the “original pilates.” \nThe troupe, with the motto of “We All Dance To A Different Drummer,” gave a demonstration on Nov.. 10 at the Morgan County Public Library in Martinsville. Drawing a curious crowd of 25 people, Herron taught some basic moves of belly dance, including the shimmy and Turkish twist. \n“Don’t go so far, you’ll fall over!” she said to them as they turned their bodies in unfamiliar ways. \nAt the demonstration, an 87-year-old woman, several girls in their late teens and small children were trying out moves. \n“The stereotypes, we are here to break them,” Herron said, who took her first class in 2000. “Anyone who has a desire to dance can.”\nLion agreed, adding that it “doesn’t matter what your size, shape, body type or color is.” \nHerron, who used to teach dance class at a YMCA, told the students that one hour in dance was like one hour in the cardio room.\n“The only difference is time goes by much faster working out when you’re having a blast doing it,” she said. \nIn order to get a better workout, the troupe members said that they squeeze into heavy, elaborate costumes. Herron said that in full dress, each woman can weigh 30 to 50 pounds more than her usual weight. In addition to shimmy belts, or scarves with heavy coins stitched onto them, the members of Different Drummer Belly Dancers wear skirts, pantaloons and cut-off tops. The shimmy belts function as a percussion instrument, Herron said. \n“They help us keep time,” she said. She added that they help train the dancers to isolate hip muscles.\nMake up for the troupe includes a trio of dots placed beneath the eyes as a “tribe marker,” Jorgensen said. \nDifferent Drummer Belly Dancers performs at various places, such as renaissance fairs and Gen Con, a large gamer convention held in Indianapolis during the summer. \n“Gen Con also draws in sci-fi crowd (in addition to gamers),” Herron said. “We danced to music from ‘Shadowhearts’ game, the ‘300’ video game and the theme song from Xena Warrior Princess.”\nHerron said that when people recognize something that is familiar to them, like a theme song from their favorite games or television shows, they enjoy the performances even more. \nAside from Friday’s performance, Different Drummer Belly Dancers will bring belly dancers Carolena Nericcio and Megha Gavin to Bloomington for the “Tribal: Pura Gala Event” on Feb.. 29, in collaboration with the Bloomington Area Arts Council. The event will include a gala dance performance and two days of belly dancing workshops.