Antibiotic-resistant MRSA gets attention of Hoosiers

Hoosiers have been taking extra precautions this year to help prevent methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, commonly known as MRSA, an antibiotic-resistant infection. \nDespite its recent publicity, MRSA is not a new infection and is treatable if caught early on. IU and Indiana are offering resources to teach people about the infection so they’ll be able to identify it and seek proper treatment immediately.\nHugh Jessop, executive director of the IU Health Center, said it’s important for Hoosiers to be properly educated about this infection. \n“This is not new stuff. We have sometimes between 17 and 30 cases of MRSA every year at the Health Center,” he said. “I have no idea why this is a big deal right now.” \nThe most common way MRSA is contracted and then transferred is through an open wound that’s not properly taken care of or sanitized. People with weak immune systems, such as the elderly or hospitalized patients, are most at risk for this infection. However, any open wound is susceptible to infection, regardless of a person’s age or infirmity. \nMRSA becomes a bigger problem when people with infected wounds do not seek medial attention, Jessop said. If a doctor examines an infected wound in its early stages, MRSA can be easily treated. \nDean of Students Dick McKaig said IU has proper precautions and guidelines to follow in the case of a MRSA outbreak. \n“We have established protocols with the Health Center, and it’s just a matter of getting the appropriate health officials involved and stopping the spreading of the infection,” he said. \nIndiana has since created an MRSA Task Force, consisting of health officials and community partners. \n“We recognize and understand the growing concerns among Hoosiers regarding MRSA, and we want to do our part to help ease the fears of our residents,” said State Health Commissioner Judy Monroe in a news release. “Community partnerships are the foundation of public health, and it was important to create the MRSA Task Force to provide the most accurate information available.”\nAccording to the IU Health Center’s Web site, people can steer clear of MRSA and other staph infections by practicing good hygiene. It’s important for people to wash their hands consistently, treat and cover wounds and not share things such as razors or bandages with others. Learning about MRSA is another defense.\n“There will soon be resources packages available to help educate Hoosiers that this is nothing new and quite preventable,” Jessop said.\nFor more information on MRSA, visit www.indiana.edu/~health or www.statehealth.in.gov.