Uniting to take back the night

Coline Sperling

About 80 students and Bloomington residents joined together Tuesday night to “Take Back the Night” in the struggle against domestic violence and sexual assault. \nA candlelight vigil in honor of six Bloomington women murdered in domestic disputes and also for women raped in Bloomington opened the rally in Dunn Meadow.\nSophomore Caroline Klein attended the event and stressed the lack of awareness for rape and sexual assault. \n“Women in college, especially, make poor decisions and are often not aware of their own safety,” Klein said. “A lot of girls just don’t care.” \nKim Mathews, a volunteer at Middle Way House, agreed and said that “change needs to start within a woman. Nothing can happen until those changes start.” \nSeveral student organizations were also at the event, including Raising Awareness of Interactions in Sexual Encounters. Representative Mathew Leal passed out information about the group, and emphasized the importance of men becoming involved with domestic abuse awareness. \n“This is a very difficult subject,” Leal said. “Sometimes, people just need to hear about these sort of touchy things from peers, and they really listen more to someone like me than they would from a teacher.” \nR.A.I.S.E. coordinator Kristen Jozkowski, who was on the committee for Take Back the Night, explained the purpose of the program. \n“In the 70s, especially for women, it was really hard to go out at night because they felt very unsafe,” Jozkowski said. “This movement began to raise awareness about sexual assault and domestic violence and to maintain the safe feeling of being outside at night. We believe that you can go out at night and that going out should feel safe.” \nJozkowski said Take Back the Night has evolved into a large- scale international movement. \nAttendees became vocal as they marched throughout campus and downtown Bloomington, filling the streets and chanting “Women unite! Take back the night!” and “Yes means yes, no means no! Whatever we wear, wherever we go!” \nThe rally ended at the Monroe County Courthouse, giving victims and advocates time to speak out against rape and domestic violence. \nR.A.I.S.E. representative Nick Branch said the goal of Take Back the Night is straightforward.\n“By making students aware of sexual assault,” he said, “you reduce the chances of them assaulting or being assaulted.”