Things We Lost in the Fire (R) Grade: B

Don't let it burn

Luckily this movie didn't get lost in the fire.

"Things We Lost In The Fire" is a rarity among Hollywood films. It isn't driven by a fast-paced plotline, and it is shockingly realistic. It doesn't leave you with one particular feeling or understanding but instead showcases the human condition of rebuilding.\nHalle Berry plays Audrey Burke, the recent widow of Steven Burke, played by David Duchovny. Benicio Del Toro plays Jerry Sunborne, Steven's best friend since childhood and a heroin addict. \nThe first part of the film does not immediately show the death of Steven, but builds an emotional outline of his character. The scenes are from moments in his life with Audrey, his children and Jerry. These are not the "major" events of his life but rather the obscure yet unforgettable details, such as family time at the pool or unloading the car after a fun family vacation. The other part deals with the initial effects Steven's death had on his loved ones. None of this is by any means melodramatic -- it just depicts those simple moments in a raw style. \nThe remainder of the film deals with the relationships and unlikely bonds between Steven's loved ones following his death. Jerry moves in with Audrey and the kids and at first finds himself quite discomforted and attempts to relapse. Through time, however, Jerry grows attached to his best friend's children and wife. While he is focused on helping them grieve, he does not focus on his bouts with heroin. The same occurs for Audrey when she helps Jerry through a relapse and in doing so, adopts her late husband's unconditional loyalty and kindness.\nThe film constantly quotes that one must "accept the good." This might seem like a strange proverb for a gloomy production, but it is not put forth in a cheesy, uplifting way. It is an attempt to promote kindness and forgiveness and indicates one will be rewarded for these acts. \nDespite the slow pace, film fans tired of cliche Hollywood endings and unrealistic relationships will revel in this film's earnest and frank look into familial rebuilding. Also, Del Toro's portrayal of a broken man battling his demons is nothing short of amazing.