Suspended ref returns to game

INDIANAPOLIS – Joey Crawford officiated his first NBA exhibition game Wednesday night after being suspended for the end of last season and the playoffs for improper on-court conduct.\nCommissioner David Stern suspended Crawford in April for his conduct toward San Antonio’s Tim Duncan. Crawford ejected Duncan from San Antonio’s loss to Dallas after calling a second technical foul on the Spurs star while he was laughing on the bench. Duncan contended the official challenged him to a fight.\nStern met with Crawford and reinstated him on Sept. 15 after a favorable professional evaluation.\nCrawford officiated Indiana’s 101-96 exhibition win over New Orleans. The only technicals he called were against the Pacers for defensive three-second violations.\n“It’s good to see him back out there,” Pacers forward Jermaine O’Neal said. “I’ve always had a pretty good relationship with him. He’s always been understanding to me.\n“That was just one isolated situation where he had an off day – and things happen.”\nCrawford enters his 32nd season as an NBA referee. He has officiated more than 2,000 games during the regular season and 266 in the playoffs, including 38 in the NBA finals.\n“Everybody knows that his tolerance level is a lot shorter than some of the other guys, but he’s a proven official,” O’Neal said. “He’s been around for years, and when you’re around that long, it’s because you’re pretty good. I think he’s one of the best to ever officiate games.”