Singer-songwriter Matt Gold performs this weekend at the Waldron Arts Center

Courtesy photo

Musician Matt Gold returned home early Monday morning, exhausted from a short, busy trip to New York. \nThe catch? He wasn’t performing for a crowd, but rather, for the cameras.\n“I’ve been modeling for about three months now. It’s funny because I don’t see myself and think ‘I’m a model,’ but I keep getting opportunities left and right,” he said. “It seems to keep taking off.”\nGold hopes that his knack for pleasing the eye is surpassed by his ability to entertain the ear this weekend, as he prepares to play back-to-back shows Friday and Saturday at the John Waldron Arts Center. This marks the second year in a row that the 33-year-old Ohio native will perform at the venue. \n“Last time went really well,” he said. “It was an intimate evening. It had some intense, memorable moments.”\nHe promises an even better show this time around. This year’s show will feature Gold with a full band—something he doesn’t usually do.\n“I’m more excited this time, because with the band, it’s a totally different exploration of the music,” he said.\nGold strives to combine true musicianship with true emotion. He’s known by fans for his raw, earnest performances, and makes it a goal to leave them with a piece of that emotion. \n“I feel like I always give to my audience,” Gold said. “You’re going to walk away feeling something.”\nGold continues to work on building his fan base in Bloomington. He considers it to be a “good outlet” for his music. He originally migrated to the town to be with friends, and continues to use it as a haven in which he can write and reflect.\nGold began his musical journey at age 18. After a month of piano instruction, he grew tired of the monotony of lessons and took matters into his own hands. \n“I stopped because it got too hard. I just started doing my own thing instead,” he said.\n“Doing his own thing” meant seizing every opportunity to play coffee houses, clubs and theaters whenever possible. It also meant turning down an art scholarship in order to focus more on music. \nThough his recent stint in modeling consumes much of his time, he’s quick to point out that music is his ultimate passion.\n“I can’t see myself doing anything else,” he said. “All I’ve ever wanted to do is perform.”\nHe says that IU holds a special place in his heart. His favorite memory as a performer came several years ago at a show at the Collins dorm. He said it was the first time he had ever felt real energy from a crowd. He hopes that the love continues with his upcoming shows.\n“I think I have a lot to offer as a performer,” he said. “I hope to see a lot of people there.”\nGold will perform at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Tickets are $8 for seniors and students and $10 for the public. Gold encourages those unfamiliar with his music to visit his MySpace page to hear his songs at www.myspace.com/mgold74.