Senate votes against financial aid program for illegal immigrants

Law would have provided a path towards citizenship

SAN JOSE, Calif. – The Senate on Wednesday voted down legislation intended to give qualified children of illegal immigrants a path toward citizenship. \nThe Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act, which would have allowed illegal immigrants who planned to go to college or join the military and had arrived in the United States before the age of 16 a chance of legality, was voted down in the Senate in a 52-44 vote. \nKarla Reyes, a junior majoring in public relations and a member of Student Advocates of Higher Education at San Jose State University, a group that supports higher education for all students regardless of legal status, said she was affected by the legislation. \n“The Federal DREAM act would have changed my life and that of many of my peers who work so hard at their education with the uncertainty of not being able to work upon graduation,” Reyes wrote in an e-mail. “I feel like we have much work to do as far as educating the general public and stakeholders in regards to undocumented immigrant youth.” \nAccording to an online poll conducted by the Spartan Daily, 13 percent of the voters felt illegal immigrants should receive some financial aid. \nTyler Wood, a senior psychology major, American cultural studies major and a member of Students for Barack Obama, did not like the defeat of the legislation. \n“I think it’s bad for the government to stop this legislation because this is a great step toward a solution for people who came to this country undocumented and their families as well,” Wood wrote in an e-mail. “I think it’s a great way for young people in this country to gain citizenship while adding to our post-secondary education system and military.” \nBrian Calvert, a junior nursing major, believes illegal immigrants should get more benefits. \n“They should still get benefits because they’re benefiting the economy of the United States,” Calvert said. \nJoshua Gause, a freshman business management major, said he opposed illegal immigration. \n“I feel that they shouldn’t be able to come over here and take our money,” Gause said. \nHe also said he felt that illegal immigrants caused money problems in the US. \n“My parents, like millions of others, migrated to this country for what they think is a better life,” Reyes, a member for Student Advocates of Higher Education, wrote. “They risked our lives crossing the border to be able to offer us a better future and an education.”