Mother accuses woman of biting 3-year-old toddler

Former lab tech faces charges, up to 3 years in prison

INDIANAPOLIS – A former lab technician faces a battery charge after she was accused of biting a 3-year-old boy’s shoulder during a blood test.\nAnne McGlorthon, 53, of Indianapolis, could face six months to three years in prison if she’s convicted. The charge was filed Tuesday, the Marion County prosecutor’s \noffice said.\nThe Associated Press left a phone message seeking comment Tuesday night at an Indianapolis number listed under McGlorthon’s name.\nThe boy’s mother, Faith Buntin, said she took her son Victor to St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis on Sept. 21 because of recent recalls of toys involving lead. She said the worker later identified as McGlorthon put her mouth on Victor’s shoulder while restraining him so another lab worker could draw the blood. McGlorthon allegedly called it “just a play bite.”\nAfter they returned home, Buntin said she saw teeth marks on his left shoulder. Her husband then drove the child back to the hospital, where he was prescribed antibiotics.\nPolice said McGlorthon told them she bit the boy because he bit her as she restrained him.\nMarion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi said self-defense was not a defense in this type of case.\n“A 3-year-old can’t have the requisite intent to harm you,” he told Indianapolis television station WRTV. “Therefore, you can’t defend yourself in that way.”\nBrizzi said he would ask the court to require McGlorthon to provide a blood sample so tests can be done to determine if she might have transmitted any disease to the child.\n“For someone to do something as nasty as put their mouth on a baby, bite a baby and break the skin and transfer bodily fluid into this child ... that’s a big concern for us,” James Buntin said. “We don’t want our baby to die.”\nA St. Vincent spokesman said McGlorthon was fired last week. She worked for a subcontractor for St. Vincent.\nBrizzi said McGlorthon was expected to surrender Tuesday or Wednesday. She was not in custody at Marion County Jail on Tuesday evening.