IU to break ground on new Data Center

New facility to house Big Red supercomputer

IU’s new and much improved Data Center will be recognized during a groundbreaking ceremony Friday. \nThe new, technologically advanced Data Center will serve as the new home for IU’s supercomputer, Big Red.\n“We have one of the world’s largest supercomputers and it’s extremely valuable in terms of dollar value and the data that we store,” said Larry MacIntyre, IU’s director of media relations. “It was determined that we needed a more safe, secure location for that computer. The new Data Center is a very safe structure for such a valuable asset.”\nThe supercomputer system was originally put in Wrubel Hall, an old academic building without any special features to protect Big Red from natural disasters, large scale power-outages and unauthorized people. The new Data Center is designed to withstand a direct hit by a tornado, high winds and earthquakes, is essentially fire-proof and has advanced security, MacIntyre said. \nUpon completion in 2008, the Data Center will be connected to IU-Purdue University Indianapolis’ computer system by an optical fiber network that will allow IU and IUPUI to both back up and share data over a highly protected, secure network.\n“So much of scientific research requires enormous amounts of data processing and data storage,” MacIntyre said. “Big Red gives us the capability, and that’s of use both here in Bloomington and in the (IU) School of Medicine where there is a lot of applied research being done.”\nIU President Michael McRobbie will preside over the groundbreaking ceremony. McRobbie actually proposed the idea of building Data Center a few years ago when he worked as IU’s vice president for information technology, MacIntyre said. \nThe new Data Center will not only ensure that IU’s supercomputer remains safe, but it will play a big role in maintaining and expanding IU’s research capabilities.\n“The new data center makes it possible to continue expanding our supercomputer and massive data storage facilities,” said Craig Stewart, associate dean for research technologies at IU. “In doing so we can keep pace with the needs of IU researchers and help IU lead the state and nation in innovative new discoveries.”\nThe University architect’s office hopes to have the building complete by spring 2008. The project costs an estimated $32.7 million dollars, said Christine Fitzpatrick, communications officer for the office of the vice president for information technology.\nThe groundbreaking ceremony will begin at 1:30 p.m. today at the center, northeast of the intersection of East 10th Street and the Indiana 45/46 Bypass.