IU prepared for night game at Louisville

Chris Pickrell

The IU field hockey team will have a rare chance to play under the lights when it heads to Louisville to face the No. 13 Cardinals at 7 p.m. today at Trager Stadium.\nThe Hoosiers (7-8, 0-5) are fresh off a 2-1 overtime win against Stanford on Monday and will try to carry that momentum with them to Louisville. \n“We just have to keep going from last game,” senior goalkeeper Haley Exner said. “We scored two goals last game and we know we have to continue to score to win.”\nAfter a Monday game this week, IU took Tuesday off before getting back on the practice field Wednesday. \n“We’ll be back to practice tomorrow,” IU coach Amy Robertson said Tuesday. “We’ll watch some game film and work on a couple of things that need to be fixed before the next game.” \nIU broke a three-game scoreless streak Monday when it scored two goals against Stanford. The Hoosiers will need another good team effort to get results against Louisville. \n“Louisville is a very strong team,” senior forward Kate O'Connell said. “They are very composed and skillful. We just need to move the ball around and play our game.”\nRobertson said IU will also need to be on top of its mental game because Louisville is not a team that beats itself.\n“They are a very well-coached team,” she said. “They don’t rely too much on any one player. They have a very team-oriented system. They’re really organized on defense and they make good decisions.”\nThe Hoosier defense has been strong all season long and has yet to allow more than two goals in any game. IU will have to continue its strong play to contain the Cardinals’ attack. \n“They are very quick on offense and are very similar to Stanford,” Exner said. “Stanford got off to a fast start against us, and I think Louisville will try to do the same. We have to be ready to play strong in the first half.”\nIU and Louisville have split the last two match-ups in the series, with Louisville winning at home last year 2-0. \n“It’s always an exciting game between Louisville and us,” Robertson said. “There has been a lot of parody in the past and the games have usually been decided by one goal. They’re also kind of our neighbor rival, so I think we’ll be ready.”