Cycling Club rides year-round, competes across Midwest

At 3 p.m. every Friday, cyclists from across IU’s campus meet at the Revolution Bike and Bean to participate in weekly group rides throughout the city. \nMany of them are part of the IU Cycling Club, a group of students that ride and compete together throughout the year. \n“We have group rides going all year round. There are people who are at the top of racing, but also entry level,” said junior Isaac Neff, president of the club. “That is one thing that really enhances the club.”\nThe club competes in races all over the Midwest, against big schools such as Ohio State University, but also smaller ones like DePauw University. \n“It’s been several years since (IU) held a race,” said senior Katie Haft, a member. “Once Little 5 gets started, participation dwindles.”\nThe club isn’t a part of Little 500, but many club racers participate in both the Little 500 and collegiate races.\n“I’m sure (the club) has helped me with Little 5, but my personal goal is collegiate nationals,” Neff said. “I’ve used collegiate races as training. You meet people who are better than you and it pushes you.” \nFor racing, the club is split into three different levels for men and two different levels for women. The top 10 men race in level A, the next 40 to 50 people race in level B and the rest of the racers race in level C. It’s the same for women, but without level C.\nWhen it comes to putting a team together for nationals, only 10 men and 10 women are allowed to participate.\nThe club provides workshops throughout the year so they can learn more about racing and maintaining their bikes. The workshops include such topics as mechanical work, staying “bike fit” and helping members set up a training schedule.\nNeff said the club has between 100 and 200 racers per year. They don’t all race, he said, but the group still works to include them.\n“This year we’re trying to have more club activities if they aren’t racing,” Neff said.\nTo join, students pay a $50 initial membership fee, which covers the cost of the workshops. Racers also receive discounts on cycling clothing. If a race is out of town, competitors must find a way to pay for gas and a place to stay.\n“It can be very time consuming,” Haft said. “I tend to ride six days a week anyway. It’s time consuming competing at other universities with the travel – a race is pretty much a whole weekend trip.” \nThe IU Cycling Club tries to organize group rides outside of the club, too, for riders who can’t make it to the weekly Friday rides. \n“They make it really easy to get involved in the races,” Haft said. “Even if you’ve never done any racing before, they are really supportive.”