Bringing back the sitcom

The Sarah Silverman Program DVD Grade: B+ Extras: A-

As an avid TV watcher, I've been extremely disappointed with the sitcoms that have been airing recently. Fortunately, the first season of "The Sarah Silverman Program" brings something fresh and exciting to the small screen. \nSarah Silverman, who plays herself, is portrayed as an immature brat who constantly freeloads off her younger sister Laura Silverman. Laura falls in love with police officer Jay, who arrested Sarah for driving her car into a playground. Sarah's neighbors Steve (Steve Agee) and Brian (Brian Posehn) are gay lovers who spend most of their time bickering with each other. \nThe first season follows Sarah through six episodes of tripping on cough medicine while driving, pooping in her pants, sleeping with black God and finding a way to turn every situation into a song. \nDespite over-the-top amusing conversations between characters, Silverman can often be annoying and incredibly unlikable as a main character. She acts incredibly selfish throughout most of the episodes, which usually formulates most of the comedy, but also can make the viewer's head spin. At one point, for instance, Sarah convinces herself she's a lesbian to win the affection of a female police officer. When the officer finally believes her, she decides she's not a lesbian. Also, the conflict and tension between Sarah and officer Jay sometimes feels contrived and forced. \nBonus materials include sing-along and karaoke versions of Silverman's songs during each episode (seven total songs) and 13 mini-stories sung live by Silverman and Agee on the Comedy Central stage. The mini-stories start with "Brian's Story," a talking-song about Posehn not knowing he was playing a gay man on the show. It transitions into a "black folk song" titled "Froggie" and continues flowing into a humorous acoustic song about poop.\nEven though the show teeters on the fine line between right and wrong and eventually tips into full-blown political incorrectness, viewers can't help but grab their stomachs from laughing so hard. If this show doesn't restore your faith in over-the-top television comedy, nothing will.