'Tales from the Crypt' gone ghetto

Hood of Horror DVD Grade: B Extras: B-

The movie "Hood of Horror" is not your typical scary flick. It is an anthology adapted from the fictional comic book with the same title. As the tagline states, it ultimately depicts that life in the hood "ain't all good." You could draw comparisons to films like "Tales From The Crypt" and the 1995 hip-hop horror jam "Tales From The Hood," yet there's still something that stands out about this film.\n"Hood of Horror" tells three tales of terror in the ghetto, as narrated by the Hound of Hell, played by Snoop Dogg. Just think of him as the hip-hop "crypt keeper," but instead he's a "crib keeper." Other impressive cameos include Billy Dee Williams of "Star Wars" fame, Jason Alexander and former pro wrestler Diamond Dallas Page.\nThese are cautionary tales about a graffiti artist who abuses the power of death she cryptically receives, a white trash couple who takes advantage of their tenants and an up-and-coming rapper who is confronted with the responsibility for the death of his friend. It is through these actions that the Hound of Hell decides these doomed individuals' afterlife.\nWhile most modern-day horror movies are unintentionally funny, this one makes no hesitation to capitalize on its cheesiness. Thus, hilarity ensues.\nThis film is not particularly terrifying, and the potentially horrifying scenes are easy to predict. But it's definitely gory. One scene depicts an individual who has a 40-ounce bottle of beer slammed through the back of his head. The most graphic scene would have to be the explosion of a woman's caviar-filled bladder. Some of the goriest scenes are shown in a "Kill Bill"-style anime. Tarantino would be proud.\nThe special features include your typical trailer, photo gallery and TV spots. If you're really into the blood scenes, there is a feature dedicated to "Bringin' The Gore." There is also an interesting segment that goes behind the history and production of the film. As the creators of the film suggest, Snoop Dogg is the best hip-hop figure for a horror film.\nAn even better addition to the film would include Snoop and company rapping throughout the film as they comment on the main characters' mistakes. But perhaps that would be too over the top.