Quick Hits

Vinyl by Letters and Numbers

If you're unfamiliar with vinyl and hear DJs or other vinyl aficionados spouting off a bunch of unfamiliar numbers, terms or acronyms, here's your cheat sheet:

LP, EP, single\nThese terms are general statements about the amount of material contained on a record. LP is short for "long-playing," which means you will have approximately a full album's worth of music. EP, or "extended play," means the album will have more tracks than a single, but fewer than a full album. A single, as you can probably guess, usually has one to three tracks.

12", 10", 7"\nThese measurements are the most common diameters that vinyl records are pressed in today. All sizes of vinyl have different purposes and can be pressed with different RPM, or revolutions per minute, and durations. The size doesn't usually affect how anything is played, but most 7" records will require an adaptor that is placed over the spindle to hold the record in place.

33, 45, 78\nMost vinyl is intended to play at one of these three speeds. The number corresponds to how many times the record makes a complete revolution on a turntable in a minute. If your favorite pop star sounds like Barry White or vice versa, try playing the record at the correct RPM, which is usually indicated on the record's label.

Belt drive/direct drive\nThese terms describe the method that the turntable itself employs to rotate. Belt drive turntables are less expensive, and a motor connected to a belt allows the platter to turn. Direct drive turntables are more complex because they do not utilize any intermediate machinery to spin the platter. Direct drive turntables are a favorite among DJs.