My brother's keeper

Munroes keep goaltending in the family for Hoosiers

Jay Seawell

Most freshmen are lucky to know a handful of familiar faces when they arrive on campus for their first semester in Bloomington. IU freshman goalkeeper Michael Munroe, one of the newest members of the IU men’s soccer team, lucked out and had a close friend – and sibling – waiting to show him around. That person was his older brother, senior goalkeeper Chris Munroe. \nNearly identical in stature – both 6-foot-4 with only a 15-pound difference between them – the two Munroes are separated by three years in age and not even that many miles. Michael’s arrival in Bloomington marks the reunion of two brothers who have been playing soccer together for years.\n“It’s not that weird (to play together) because we spent so many years doing goalie training in Indianapolis,” Chris said. “We had a coach there who we worked with for like 10 years each. We’ve been training (together) for a long time, so it’s pretty normal.”\nThe Munroes attended North Central High School in Indianapolis, where both received high praise for their skills. Chris, who played for a state championship team, was named one of five National Soccer Coaches Association of America’s All-Americans and was a first team all-state selection in 2002. Michael also helped lead North Central to a state championship, and the younger Munroe gained hoards of honors as a senior as well, all while averaging a mere 0.49 goals allowed \nper game. \n“I know they’re pretty excited to spend the year together,” said IU coach Mike Freitag. \nAlthough there is always competition between siblings, Chris and Michael say it is no longer an issue for them.\n“Not so much anymore,” Michael said. “We used to be \npretty bad.”\nChris agreed, saying he is actually thrilled about the progress his little brother is making at the college level.\n“I’ll be honest, he’s doing really well – especially as a freshman – in terms of handling the adjustment to the speed of the game,” Chris said. “When he does well in practice, I’m happy for him. It’s really not a one-versus-the-other sort \nof deal.”\nChris has been giving Michael tips on how to adjust to the new style of play he will face in college in hopes that Michael will be able to fill the void left by his older brother’s\npending graduation. \n“He’s been helping me out, giving me some advice just on how to adjust to the next level of play,” Michael said. \nIn addition to spending practice and game time together, the freshman-senior duo has also enjoyed their free time together.\n“It’s a blast,” Chris said. “To be able to be here in this college environment and hang out together – on the field and off the field. It’s a very good time.”