Jewish students usher in spiritual New Year this week

Hillel Center to host campus events for Rosh Hashanah

On Wednesday evening the blowing of the shofar, a ram’s horn, will sound what many Jewish students at IU refer to as the one of the most important holidays during the year, Rosh Hashanah. \nRosh Hashanah, a time of celebration and repentance with family and friends for Jews across the world, marks the beginning of the Jewish spiritual New Year and is the start of a spiritual awakening.\n“During the daytime services we blow the Shofar, to awaken us from our slumber, which is a part of the services,” said Sue Laikin Shifron, rabbi and executive director of the Helene G. Simon Hillel Center on campus. “People really remember the sound of the Shofar. It is associated with\n the holiday.” \nTraditionally on Rosh Hashanah, most people eat candle-lit meals, including the traditional Jewish bread Challah, which is braided into a circle to represent the circle of life. Apples dipped in honey and apple cake, which represent hope for a sweet new year, are also a common cuisine at a Rosh \nHashanah feast.\n“It is definitely a festive holiday, (as) opposed to Yom \nKippur, (which) is a solemn one,” Shifron said. “It’s a freeing time to start anew in the coming year.”\nFreshman Aaron Rusnak said Rosh Hashanah has deep meaning to him because it gives him a rare opportunity to be introspective.\n“It means a time to reflect on what went bad in the past year and restart,” Rusnak said. “On Rosh Hashanah, you think about good things, and on Yom Kippur, about bad things and how you can \nmake changes.” \nShifron said letting go of the past and focusing on better choices in the new year is the essence of Rosh Hashanah. The holiday begins “The Ten Days of Awe,” a period that requires T’shuvah, or a spiritual return, by asking forgiveness from those you have wronged in the past year. The period then ends with \nYom Kippur.\n“It’s not enough to just ask God for forgiveness,” Shifron said. “You have to ask the person you hurt or offended, ask God, then think about how you are going to change your ways. It’s a positive concept, though the liturgy can be \nvery heavy.” \nRusnak said he will take advantage of the day’s \nspiritual tone. \n“I’ll be going to services and dinner, and I won’t be going to classes,” he said. “It’s a day that requires a lot of \nthinking.” \nThough some students will be traveling home to celebrate the holiday, many students will be attending Rosh Hashanah services on campus. Hillel will be hosting services at St. Paul’s Catholic Center and smaller services at Hillel. Shifron is expecting at least 1,500 students to attend services Wednesday. \n“We have services at St. Paul’s because Hillel isn’t big enough and St. Paul’s is nice enough to host us,” Shifron said.\nHillel will also be hosting a Full Frontal Comedy event as an alternative for interested students who may not want to attend services. The event will take place 7:30 p.m. Wednesday in McNutt Quad. Shifron said the event is meant to give students a comedic look at Rosh Hashanah.\nJunior Michael Simon said he is happy that a campus organization will be holding services on such an important holiday. \n“It’s nice that Hillel is here for students who can’t get home for the holidays for many different reasons,” Simon said. “It’s time of celebration; of being with friends, family \nand community.”