IU tops Saint Louis, loses to Albany

Hoosiers score 8 goals on new field to earn 3rd win

After a disappointing 2-0 loss to SUNY-Albany on Friday, the IU field hockey team bounced back in commanding fashion with an 8-0 win over Saint Louis yesterday, moving their record to 3-1. \nThe day began with a ribbon-cutting ceremony officially dedicating the new outdoor field to the field hockey team. After remarks from IU coach Amy Robertson, Athletics Director Rick Greenspan and Director of the Varsity Club Scott Dolson, the Hoosiers quickly erased any lingering disappointment from Friday’s loss.\nIU wasted no time getting on the scoreboard Sunday, scoring two goals in the first 10 minutes of play against the Billikens. The Hoosiers continued their dominance throughout the game, outshooting Saint Louis 19-1 and earning a 16-0 advantage in penalty corners.\n“We looked a lot better than we did on Friday,” Robertson said. “Our intensity and focus remained high throughout the game, and that hasn’t always been the case after we’ve scored early goals. We didn’t let up for the rest of the game.”\nThree freshmen scored their first career goals, including forward Katie Griswold, who scored two goals off rebounds. Forward Katie Griswold scored off a loose ball in front of the goal, and back \nBrenna Moeljadi scored off a penalty corner.\n“It felt amazing,” Moeljadi said of her first goal for IU. “It was a huge rush. We practice penalty corners every practice, so I’m working on them about four times a week.”\nIU scored off of four penalty corners, including Moeljadi’s goal and goals from Amanda Oyler, Danitra Castro and Kate O’Connell. \n“I was unhappy about our lack of finishing on penalty corners against Albany,” Robertson said. “We took more reps in practice and worked on executing and staying focused. If you can draw corners and earn them, it’s an opportunity to put the ball in the goal.”\nSophomore midfielder Meg O’Connell rounded out the scoring for IU with her second goal of the season. \nWhile the Hoosiers erupted for eight goals against Saint Louis, the going was much tougher against Albany. Despite outshooting Albany 9-6, IU was unable to score a goal and suffered its first loss of the season.\n“We had a lot of opportunities but couldn’t really take advantage,” Meg O’Connell said after the loss. “We gave up too many corners, and our work ethic wasn’t like it usually is.”\nAfter a scoreless first half, Albany scored in the 43rd minute and put the game away with a 59th-minute goal. Trailing 2-0, IU turned up the pressure but couldn’t break through with a goal. \n“I liked our urgency at the end of the game, but we need to show that from the beginning,” Robertson said after the game. “I think we are a smart team, but I don’t think we showed it at times. And that just played right into their hands in the end.”\nThe Hoosiers play again Saturday with a home contest against Ball State.