Free language courses to begin

For those who don’t have enough time to take a language course during the semester, an alternative offering more one-on-one time is available. \nThe Asian Culture Center is offering free language courses to all students, faculty and community members, starting this week. \nSince 2000, the Asian Culture Center has been offering these courses to the community for numerous reasons. \n“Many people come to learn a language because they are planning to visit that particular country,” said Babita Upadhyay, program and administrative assistant. “Everyone comes with a different purpose.” \nSome participants come to learn the language to be able to go to a restaurant and order food in that language. Some attend for extra help, while others plan to adopt a child from a certain country and need to learn the language.\nThe center offers courses in Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, Tagalog (Filipino), Vietnamese, Thai and Hindi. \nThe courses are taught by native speakers of the language, usually graduate students and community members. \n“All of our teachers are not only proficient in their native language, but have a strong desire to teach and share their knowledge,” Upadhyay said. \nHowever, these courses are not credited with the University. The sessions are non-formal and students are not graded. \nThe informality provides a “fun way to learn, and students learn according to their need and capability,” Upadhyay said. \nFor more information, contact Upadhyay at acc@indiana.edu. Dates and times of the language courses are available at the center and online at \nwww.indiana.edu/~acc.