Bodies found near Bloomington

Courtesy Photo

The Monroe County Sheriff’s Department arrested a rural Monroe County man Friday evening for double homicide after authorities searched his property.\nJerry E. Pelfree, 51, faces a preliminary charge of murder after authorities found two decomposed bodies hidden in steel drums on his property.\nAn informant, whose identity was not released at press time, supplied information to the Brown County Sheriff’s Department about a possible murder that occurred last spring, according to a Monroe County Sheriff’s Department press release. After following up on the information provided by the informant, the Brown County Sheriff’s Department contacted the Bloomington Police Department for assistance. Once BPD learned the possible location for suspect activity was outside city limits, they contacted the Monroe County Sheriff’s Department for help.\nThe Monroe County Prosecutor’s Office became involved in the investigation after obtaining more information about the alleged crime.\nSearch warrants were obtained for two locations in Monroe County, according to the press release. Authorities searched for human remains, weapons and illicit drugs. One of the locations is still an active crime scene, according to the press release.\nOn Friday evening, the search warrants were served with the assistance of the Bloomington Police Department’s Critical Incident Team.\nPolice discovered the remains of two men in 55- and 35-gallon drums at one of the locations on West Ison Road. Both of the containers were sealed with plastic and covered in debris, according to the press release.\nThe advanced stage of decomposition prevented positive identification at the time of recovery. An autopsy will be conducted today under the supervision of the Monroe County Coroner’s Office.\nAuthorities say they believe they know the identities of the bodies, but until the autopsy results come in, no further information will be available.\nPelfree was arrested at the scene, transported to the Monroe County Jail and is being held without bond. He will have a probable cause hearing today in the Monroe Circuit Court.