War opponents get emotional during local protest

Brandon Foltz

It’s been hot in Bloomington the last few weeks, but not like Baghdad.\nThis was the opening sentiment of the candlelight vigil held 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Sample Gates. More than 30 people gathered in an organized effort to hold Congress responsible to end the war in Iraq. \nCathy and Norman Peacock, parents of two soldiers, spoke out against the war. The Peacocks have a daughter stationed in South Korea and a son in Iraq. Cathy, a Vietnam veteran, and Norman, an army veteran, said they were supportive of their children’s decision to join the war effort, but they have never supported the Iraq war. \n“Politically, we just feel that this has been a bad decision,” Cathy Peacock said. “We totally support our kids but we don’t have to support our government.” \nDuring his speech, Norman Peacock said though he has not lost his son, he knows Sgt. Michael Peacock will never be the same emotionally. \n“Injustices are being made to the Iraqi people and to our country,” Norman Peacock said. “We need to begin to withdraw.” \nBloomington activist and writer David Keppel said he strongly believes that the war needs to come to an end. \n“There will never be a good day to pull out of Iraq,” Keppel said. “We just have to do it.”\nKeppel and the Peacocks believe that if Congress takes responsibility and stops approving money for the war effort, the administration will be forced to withdraw soldiers. \n“After Sept. 11, the United States had a tremendous opportunity to unite the world against a terrible crime,” Keppel said. “Instead this country went out and started a war with a country that had nothing to do with it.” \nIU junior Anna Strand attended the vigil after a Students for Barack Obama meeting. Students for Barack Obama is a young voter support group working on Obama’s election campaign.\nOne of Obama’s primary platforms is full removal of active troops from Iraq, which Strand said she supports.\n“I’m infuriated with our country’s current stagnant position in Iraq,” Strand said. “I’m doing everything in my power to get Barack Obama elected.” \nKeppel said the energy of the vigil will help fuel the movement to exit Iraq.\n“Every gathering is a gathering of energy,” Keppel said. “People are able to gain strength and solidarity from each other. It’s very encouraging and strengthening to be with other people who care.”