Students search for cheaper textbooks

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The National Retail Federation reports that the average consumer will spend an average of $400 on school supplies between the end of summer and the first couple of weeks of school. This average has increased nearly $100 from last year’s back-to-school season. This total includes items such as clothing, furniture, electronics and paper. \nThe average amount spent on school supplies fails to include the priciest of all items: textbooks. Students are projected to spend an average of $377 on textbooks alone. Some students, such as Nichelle Williams, a third-year law student, will spend an estimated $600 on books alone. \n“Every year I spend more and more money on books,” Williams said. “I wish I had taken the time to find cheaper ways before I purchased my books.” \nStudents can find themselves deviating from the norm to save money, and many are looking for ways to prepare for school while keeping their wallets reasonably full. \nOne solution is to look for cheaper alternatives in purchasing textbooks. Companies such as Ecampus.com, Amazon.com and Ebay’s Half.com are a few ways to purchase textbooks without the expensive retail price. Cheaptextbooks.com allows students to access information from many sites like these at once. \nThe search function works with the textbook’s ISBN or its title, and the search results are from various independent sellers. \n“Half.com is a great site to use,” said Peter van Nieuwenhuise, a junior majoring in biology. “I ended up spending around $220 rather than the usual $400 I spend on books.” \nSome students looking to add some zest to their residence hall rooms or apartments avoid big-named furniture galleries and retail stores, as their prices can be demanding on a student’s budget. Instead, they browse local thrift stores such as Goodwill and Salvation Army for discounted items such as dressers and bed frames. \nConsignment shops like Deja Vu, located on University Boulevard, also provide brand-name furnishings that can save money. \nFor many students, on-campus dining can be expensive if a student does not have a meal plan. \nFrugal students may look into preparing their own dishes at home. Grocery shopping is one way to avoid the high costs of dining. \n“I buy lots of rice and pasta, and I’m able to make great meals and it lasts forever,” said Marisa Ridgeway, a junior majoring in public relations. “I end up saving tons of money rather than spending 10 bucks a pop at the Ferg (on-campus dining).”