Presidential hopefuls sound off

Mike Huckabee\nWhy voters should chose him

“I can speak to and for the ordinary American … (I’m) someone who can navigate the waters of political turmoil. I know I’m not the establishment Republicans’ first choice. Our first job is not to be Republican or Democratic, our first job is to be wholly, uniquely American.”

African-American representation

“I got 48% of the African-American vote in my state (in the last election). I earned it, through appointments, focus, and interest. I went out of my way to be extremely sensitive. We put disproportionate amounts of money towards areas where heart disease, hypertension and diabetes (were high).”

“I appointed the first African-American constitutional director, the first (state) Supreme Court justice, the first Budget Director, … and more. I appointed them because they deserved it, not because they were African-American. I never had to change my image or tailor it.”

Plans for the first 100 days of office

“Problems (we face) are not uniquely Republican or Democratic. I’d like to move away from Horizontal Politics, where everything is left, right, liberal, conservative, Republican or Democratic, … is polarized, ultimately paralyzed, … towards Vertical Politics.”

College-aged voters

“First of all, they’re going to get me elected. College students are big part of the electoral process. No one has more to win or lose than college students, whether it’s with appointments to the Supreme Court or the making of (new) policy. Don’t give us full license to ruin your lives.”

Mitt Romney

Why he's "different"

“I’ve spent my life in the private sector, ... 25 years with small businesses that became large businesses. I understand (how) jobs come and go and why they decline. Through the 2002 Olympics, I have (also) learned about the volunteer sector.”

Health care

“First, we need to reduce cost. We need to get people on track (so that) everyone is insured, and make sure insured people stay insured.”

“I think health care is going to be one of the most important, if not the most important, issue ... in 2008. I worked with my legislature to get all citizens insurance (in Massachusetts).”

On his first visit to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway as a boy

“It was a much louder event than I’d expected.”

On rival candidate Hillary Clinton

“I’m not enough of a political strategist or pundit ... But I thought from the beginning she was the most likely (candidate).”