Online only: The Lookout (R) Grade: A- Extras: A-

Movie's two-year slow cook shows

It's perhaps reckless to willfully inflate a movie rating for the sake of posterity, but should "The Lookout" ever be compared to overvalued plot-benders like 2000's "Memento," a little falsification is merited. Both movies make use of traumatic brain injury as narrative motive and both received critical acclaim, but "The Lookout" is a far more supreme instance of how the filmmaker's toolbox can be used to evoke danger, depth and hope.\nAt its most basic level, "The Lookout" is a modern film noir with the semi-amnesiac Chris Pratt (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) falling naively into the ruthless world of an asthmatic felon (Matthew Goode). On the homestead, we find Chris' blind roommate (Jeff Daniels) and Chris's emotionally inept parents. Carla Gugino and Isla Fisher also make interesting, de-sexualized appearances as the film's muted heroines.\nIt's perhaps a sign of the film's humanity that all of its characters are plagued by the choices and physical limitations that beset us all. Not for one instance is the audience made to decide between the absolutes of good and evil, about which will prevail. And like most true character studies, it's hard to break "The Lookout" down into any obvious film formula.\nDramatic suspense, in thrillers or otherwise, is often assessed from the perspective of the audience, but "The Lookout" hones in on its characters. This dedication, if not made blindly clear by the movie itself, is evidenced by the excellent DVD extras. In addition to revelations about technique, the filmmakers also divulge the gradual germination behind "The Lookout" (the script sat unmade for years). Indeed, this slow-cook shows.